Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender made in mexico vs american?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 21frets, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

What are the differences quality, value etc?

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Friend of Leo's

... and here we go again....

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

The more expensive one is higher quality. Do you think it's worth it? Don't answer that.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

No real difference..........just the price!

6. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

I have both. A 52 AVRI (MIA) and my new Baja (MIM) arrives tomorrow. I just sold my Blond Baja to a friend. If my new Sunburst is anything like the blond, it will be great.

Both are outstanding and equally good - in my opinion. They are different from each other. Some MIM's offer things the MIA's don't and vice a versa.

7. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

Beware of the body

Haha...MIJ!

If you buy a MIM Tele, you save on cost. That means the company saved on cost. The question is where? You can replace pickups and tuners (although sometimes it ends up costing as much in the end as a used MIA Tele that's ready to go), but you can't replace the body and some of the MIM Tele's have these piecemeal bodies that look like there was a bunch of leftover wood that they glued together like a puzzle, cut, and painted. Check the serial numbers and use the Fender website to find out when the guitar was made. Mid 90s MIM Tele's modeled after the early 70s styles have three piece bodies (according to the luther I asked about it when I got mine) and that's alright. The newer Thinlines are MIM and they're cool, but they cost about the same as a standard MIA Tele.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Tele-Afflicted

The american made one makes you play better turning every note you play into pure, audible gold. The Mexican made one does the same thing but turns every note into pure audible oro

9. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

Lol

10. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

One is made in Mexico buy Mexicans, the other is made in America buy Mexicans. Let the hate begin.

11. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

One of them is for people who don't care where their guitar is made as long as it's good; the other is for people who believe in magical pixies.

12. stevelaw_11

stevelaw_11 TDPRI Member

I'm sure it's been probably been said a 100 times... But you just got to play them!

MIA are better made, better electronics, better pickups. But MIM your still getting the same wood, fender quality parts...it's no slouch!

I can differently hear and feel the difference playing both. But in my opinion, if you're going to ask for double the price. I have to be "wowed" and I'm not blown away by the MIA teles, when the MIM teles still rock so hard.

Try them out and see what you think!

13. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Meister

Honestly I have both. I like,play and enjoy them equally.

14. Alaskabobc

Alaskabobc TDPRI Member

Nice play on words!:D "oro" Heh, Heh, Heh! I'm still looking for the "Rio de Oro"

15. 20721

20721 Former Member

Not much. The best ones are still made in Japan.

16. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Tele-Holic

American made or Mexican made, they both have crappy thin necks.

17. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

Heh. Love it.:mrgreen:

18. Telegeekster

Telegeekster Tele-Meister

Look, my go-to guitar is a MIM 2007 Tele. I purchased it new, but it needed a little work:

1. Filing down fret ends that stuck out the neck on either side.

2. Replaced the tuning machines with a set of Grovers after one of the original tuners stripped its threads THE FIRST TIME I CHANGED STRINGS

3. Had to hammer down some upper frets on the treble side, frets 15-18 or thereabout.

Once I did that, this guitar has been absolutely fine for five years. All this may disappoint some people. Me, I could fix it and I'm happy with it.

19. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Everyone pisses and moans every time these questions come up. Funny thing is these threads always get traction and hang around for days with everyone clamoring to give the wittiest response. Some people aren't that jaded and are truly looking for an "answer". Let's help em out!

To the OP. I've never liked the necks on the Mexican Standards and they're the only MIMs I've ever played. Apparently the Classic Series 50s and 60s Teles are quite something. Best thing for you to do would be try some out and see what you think.

20. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity

Cause that's the only thing to do. The answer to every single one of these threads, imo, is "Try them out yourself"

There are too many variables and models to give a succinct answer to such a blanket question besides, "Decide for yourself"

Besides, you can't answer questions of $ value to other people. Some find the differences between US and MIM standards to be worth the money, and some don't.

21. 21frets

21frets Tele-Meister

That's what I currently have a classic 60's, is "quite something" a good thing?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.