Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Lead Series Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by John C, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville

2. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville
    20181102_215234.jpg
    All of the wiring diagrams in this book are very accurate.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  3. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    Scotty -that's so cool of you to find that!

Scotty D likes this.
  4. JPaulV

JPaulV NEW MEMBER!

Nov 8, 2018
    London
    Here's my Lead II. I bought it in 1990 from a friend who'd bought it new in Hong Kong in 1979 for 1600 Hong Kong dollars. I also have a deluxe Strat, but I still like to play the Lead....

image.jpeg

Scotty D likes this.
  5. greenhornet

greenhornet TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2009
    wv
    My first serious guitar was a Lead II. I mail ordered an all black, maple fretboard guitar (U2 was all the rage; couldn't afford a Strat) & received a black, white pickguard, rosewood fretboard... Very disappointed but it was a Friday & I kept it. This was in 1983. Sold it a few years later... It just wasn't a Strat....

6. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Applying for membership.

Maybe, just maybe the most under-rated Fender ever...

2.jpg

Those Seth Lover's with the coli tap. The holy grail of splitting Humbuckers.

CP.

Scotty D likes this.
  7. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    I love mine -- best sounding guitar I ever owned or played.

8. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    The pickups in the Lead II are amazing strat pickups. Very hot with a great "honk"...

9. Artslap

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I've got a "Smith" strat with those X1 pick-ups. I'm a big fan.

CP.

10. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville
    Just posting some diagrams for those in need of them.
    Cheers. 20181102_215311.jpg 20181102_215258.jpg

Artslap likes this.
  11. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    My friend had a "The Strat" model in Candy Apple Red when I was a kid (early 80's) and I had the Lead III - "The Strat" was the heaviest guitar I ever held - it had 3x X1's -- When I got my Lead II in around 2013 I was so happy to finally have those! I'd love to see a photo of your Dan Smith -- 2 knobs yes ? Sound any different?

12. Artslap

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's my 1982 Smith Strat. Everything Stock. The bridge PU has the yellow X1 wire. Neck dated '82. Neck is a vintage "V" and one of the best shapes in my collection. These are the "real" Smith Strats. The three knob version, Envisaged as a return to form for Fender. The two knob - no separate input jack - came after as a budget version. Note the saddles, straight from the Lead series. I've not seen this anywhere else on a Smith. Gotta love the lam rosewood board. Gilmour tone for the ages.

3.jpg

And just because I'm a completest, here's my LPB "Strat" with walnut body. This thing is a beast. Heavier than my LP or even my Yamaha SG3000. It does have sustain for days though. Seriously. Play an open string, go and make a sandwich, come back and the thing's still singing. Gold plated Brass hardware. LPB going green where heat has affected it. Third knob switches everything up, but I still live on the bridge.

9.jpg

CP.

13. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    "The Strat" ---- I will get one one day -- is your neck headstock also finished in the colour? Some were and some were not. I love you have a Dan Smith era strat that's not a Dan Smith strat (2 knobs etc...) That coffee cream colour is nice. Cool patina on the LPB as well.

Ever play an 83/84 elite?

14. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville
    The restoration is complete. It was well worth the effort. The vintage Fender frets worked out great! My Lacquer mixture is black with a few drops of white, wet sanded and buffed by hand. 20181117_142513.jpg 20181117_142557.jpg

rob2 likes this.
  15. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    What were the vintage fender frets you used @Scotty D What are the distinguishing characteristics of those?

Scotty D likes this.
  16. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville
    Vintage Fender pack of 24 for $9.99. They are pre-radiused to 7-1/4" and the tangs are the exact size for the original factory fretboard slots. I didn't have to widen or deepen the slots, these hammered right in!

17. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
    Wow -- where did you source those? Fender?

18. Scotty D

Scotty D TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2018
    Nashville
    A local music shop in Nashville had them in stock. I researched the specs on the web. Musicians Friend, Fender, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, Reverb & eBay sell them online!

19. DogsoverLava

Dec 13, 2015
    Vancouver
  20. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I always wondered why they didn’t issue a Squier version of the Lead series. I owned two years ago and traded them for an SG which was promptly stolen. Grrrrr

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.