Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Japan Exclusive CLASSIC 60s TELE CUSTOM

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DonM, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT

2. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I have one pre-owned from 2015 in old Lake Placid Blue as an FSR.
    It is perfectly made (faultless in terms of construction) and great quality. It's a poly finish too shiny for some. The neck is lovely and the poly doesn't drag so unusually for me I haven't stripped it back. That wasn't called "Classic 60s" but seems the same guitar. I've posted it here a couple of times so I won't again now. I swapped out the rather lightweight but serviceable "vintage style" pick-ups with a USA Custom '62 set (inexpensive and superb IMHO) as well as the pots. There have been a few FSRs here in the UK. I recommend buying them second hand if you can and putting in pups of your choice.

DonM likes this.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great guitars!
    I agree the pickups are a little on the thin siunding side, but the fit and finish is superlative.

DonM likes this.

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Japanese Fenders typically have dense and dark high quality rosewood. It would be a no brainer over streaky reddish Pau Ferro - ugh.

DonM likes this.

5. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2012
    Luçon _ France
    I don't think Fender Japan has any factory. They rather go to subcontractors (Fujigen,...), but they still sell MIJ guitars:
    https://global.rakuten.com/en/category/400235/
    I bought a Custom (actually a FSR '62 custom with a '57 Stat neck, see avatar) in Tokyo a few years ago. The overall quality is amazing (body, neck, finish...). They usually come equiped with vintage pick ups wich are not really powerful but rather nice. I play jazz so I don't really need so much power. Many people complain about the electronics, but I haven't had problems with those on my guitar so far.

DonM likes this.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    That is a gorgeous guitar.
    $900 though... for sight unseen, unheld, unplayed etc.
    I need to play them first. Make sure there is a return policy you are cool with.
    Like, is it $100 to send it back?
    I have had a couple MIJ strats over the years. They were alright. My friend has a tele like you are looking at, except sunburst. He wants to change pickups.

DonM likes this.

7. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Thanks guys, great info. I think I'll be on the hunt now.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW

9. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    OKC, OK
    I have that guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.