Fender Hot Rod Series amp question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

I like the general tone of the Fender Hot Rod series amps. But I wish there was something in between the Blues Jr and the Blues Deluxe. The 15w from the BJ are plenty for me. But I wish it had the extra features and bigger cab of the BD. But the 40w in the BD is more than I need. For comparison, I have a Vox AC15 and it is a similar size/weight as the BD, but has only 15w. I think the AC15 is a perfect package - but I just prefer the Fender tone. Any advice? I had the BJ and liked it, but it was hindered by the small cab. Will I be able to live with the volume in the Blues Deluxe (does it still sound good at relatively low volume)? Or get a BJ and put it in a bigger cabinet? Or is there some other non-fender option I'm not thinking of (Peavey Delta Blues?). I know someone will suggest the Deluxe Reverb, but even the used ones I see are $800 and up, so that ain't gonna easily happen. Used BJs go for $400 or less, and used BDs for around $500.

2. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I did a few mods to my Blues Jr (and the obligatory speaker) and the most important mod I did was to build a bigger cabinet. I disagree with Billm in that regard, and only after having messed with this amp for such a long time. Upsize the cab first, then fiddle with the circuit. That stock speaker is really good, btw. It just needs to breath.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  4. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

I put an audio taper volume knob on my Hot Rod Deville and it sounds really good at lower volumes. I wonder if the Deluxe has the same issue with the volume knob? If so it would be relatively easy to tame it and still have head room when you need it.

By the way the issue is that it came stock with a linear pot. so, 2 was twice as loud as 1. That's no big deal but 3 is twice as loud as 2, and 4 is twice as loud as 5, etc. That's why you cant get it over about 3. An audio taper gradually rises over all the numbers at say 10% louder with each number.

5. JuneauMike

Everything I've heard about the HRD amps always includes "too loud." I wonder what an onboard attenuator would sound like in them. A real attenuator, not just another volume knob.

6. whodatpat

I have done both. Actually replacing the volume pot is the only way it worked

Bob M likes this.
  7. JuneauMike

An attenuator with an internal speaker load on it? How was the tone?

8. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

You can run 6V6's in Blues/HR Deluxes instead of the 6L6GC or 5881. I think it knocks the power down to mid 20 watts, you just need to rebias it. For long term use of 6V6's I think you just switch some resistors and then you're good to go.

9. whodatpat

The tone was bad. It has been about 8 years so I cant really describe it other than that I was not happy. It really didn't sound any better than when I stuck a pot in the effects loop like those stupid boxes.
    This made all the difference in the world.
    https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/potentiometer-fender-1m-j-taper-control-snap

The thing did just quit working and I tend to over complicate everything. When I looked up that pot to post I found this... So of course this is what I want to put it it now. :)
    https://www.fromelelectronics.com/products/hrdv-mods

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Hmmm. I know a little about carpentry. But nothing about electronics. That leads me to believe I can build a new cab for the BJ easier than I can do mods to the BD.

11. JuneauMike

Yep, replace the dimensions with the size you are looking for and there you have it:

Champcab.jpg
    Note: Fender's baffle is actually 3/8 inch.

Like I said, I chose the dims from a Fender Deluxe. I used plywood, but pine may or may not be better. (Remember, these are EL84s not 6V6s and I sorta think they benefit from the diffused tone. Pine is somewhat more articulate to my ears, but all this is very subtle).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. JuneauMike

Wait, you used something like this and the tone was bad?
    https://www.tedweber.com/minimass

13. Clarkj734

Clarkj734 Tele-Meister

The answer could be...

Hot Rod Dluxe + Eminence Maverick speaker.

The Maverick has an attenuation function on the speaker that can knock quite a bit of dbs off. The tone is pretty consistent in my experience. You can lose a little top end, but nothing the treble pot can't offset.

14. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Simplest fix I ever found for the Hot Rod series all-or-nothing volume was to stick a volume pedal in the FX loop and turn it down. Just a tip for anyone reading. Doesn't help with the high volume it can hit, but it does make the volume much less touchy.

I'd vote for the smaller amp, and upgrade the speaker. Letting tube circuits breathe usually sounds better than turning way down to appease the neighbors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

flyswatter likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Hot Rod Deluxe IV addresses the volume knob issue, as well as the tone of the gain channel, the reverb and (arguably) sub-par speaker in it's predecessors. Might want to check it out.

But amps bigger than a BJR are clearly gigging amps and they don't always do that well at home volumes, if that is what you seek.

16. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

The Vol issue was addressed in version III which has been out for many years. Ppl still banging on about something that was fixed almost 10 years ago.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Well, I have a Blues Jr III (the red version with the Wizard spkr) and I have a HRDlx II that I've modded, and I just picked up a Peavey Classic 30.

As you say, the Classic 30 falls right between the two and I've been really impressed with it. Nice clean tone and a great crunch. They also seem to be very cheap second hand.

Now I'm looking for a Classic 50 4x10. Shud b great for when I need that bit extra.

18. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bassbreaker series. The 18 is about where you want I would suspect.

19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Lots of little boxes you can buy to put in the loop of a HRD that solves the volume leap issue and turn it into a useable low volume amp. I'd recommend the £20 Lion Tamer ( on Reverb) but presumably there are US built equivalents.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Is that getting into a DRRI territory, and a possible candidate for the OP?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.