Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 or 212

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by onlybrowning, Mar 2, 2010.

1. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

I am thinking I might get a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp. I am thinking it will be a good fit for my needs. I have read that many people do not love the drive channel, but I use that very little anyway. I play mostly clean, and want that Fender bright, clean sound. I like to have a good solid low end, but don't want to give up the mids and highs. I really like the full sound I get out of my 412 cabinet, but think the Fender Tube amp will give me what I am looking for. So, my question is, should I get the 212 or 410? Or, would you steer me toward another amp using 6L6's in this price category? Thanks!

2. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

The hot rod is not a particularly BRIGHT amp. I have one, and with most of my guitars, it's just way too dark.

Oddly enough, when I hear someone else play through this amp -- it always sounds gorgeous. It also works really, really well with my Strat that has vintage noiseless pickups.

I got the 410 version, after about an hour of A-B comparison in the store, vs. the 212 model. After a while, I noticed that the 212 had an odd "ping" sound, at the start of notes.

3. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

I would recommend the 410. I've used both of them, and in the series, to my ears the 4x10 devilles sound better than the 2x12 deluxes.

As for other amps in this price range? Have you considered the reissue 4x10 bassman??

Best of luck. Hunt around and try out lots of amps!

Ward

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. scoots

scoots Tele-Holic

man, you're gonna have to try both and see what you think because i have the 212 and i liked this over the 410.

6. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

I can speak for the 410, owning one for about 3 years... but, I haven't played through a 212 deville.

like beep.click said, they are very dark sounding, and indeed beautifully dark. They are lush cleans but they are dark. I actually really like the overdrive. It's probably the best Fender does with overdrives. It does tend to be slightly muddy sounding, but I think a good bit of that is the stock "Groove Tube" kinda muddy.... and can be addressed w/ brighter tubes. I put a spare pair of Mesa 6L6's I had around in and it brought a noticeable amount of clarity to the overdrives. Lovely amp.

I'm all about the cleans too though, and since I picked up a 65 Twin Reverb RI, that's gotten the most attention. The less attention the Deville gets, the more I appreciate it though. It's definitely keeper..... but, if you haven't, you might consider a Twin Reverb or a Super Reverb if the cleans are what you're after.

7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Once upon a time, I wanted a Deville, and I had the same question as you. 212 or 410? Hmm...

So I went to GC and lined up 5 Devilles, two of the 212's, and three of the 410's. I was surprised how different they all sounded. Not just differences between the 212's and 410's, but even the pair of 212's sounded different from each other. The 410's all had their own distinct tone too. That's one of the things that's interesting about tube amps. Due to variations in manufacturing, different tubes - even of the same make - will sound different.

To my ears, with my Tele, the 410's all sounded noticably more punchy and alive than the 212's. It was pretty obvious to me. Then I went back and forth between the three 410's and found the one that I thought sounded best. After I got it home, I ended up changing some of the preamp tubes and that sweetened up the tone farther still.

I have noticed that people who tend to prefer the 212 models often have Gibson style guitars, YMMV...

Used that Deville 410 for a couple of years, then I got my old RK Twin out of storage and the Deville became a backup. I ended up selling the Deville and using the money to finance another guitar. I do kind of miss it, it sounded great with a tube screamer, but I have since acquired a Peavey Classic 50 410.

Lots of folks say the Peavey's sound better than the Deville, but I don't think so. It's not better or worse - they just sound different.

8. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

[applauds the love for the 'ol RK Twin... chuu, chuu, chuu, whew wheu!!!]

9. rossfloss

rossfloss TDPRI Member

In general 12's are going to have a looser/deeper bass response, and 10's have a bit more clarity and brightness in the 2~5 KHz range; which may or may not be good, depending on what you are looking for.

However in the case of the Deville, it may appear that the 10's crank out more bass than the 12's and this is for the most part true, mainly because there are four 10's vs only two 12's. (This is personally my limit. I'm sure several amps can make it work, but from my experience four 12's is too bassy and muddy.)

It's important to note that a deeper bass response does not necessarily mean there will be more bass. It just means the bass you do hear goes into a lower frequency range.

10. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

If you don't mind hauling the 410, go for it.

If you can find a Blues Deville 410, get that instead. Awesome amp!

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I had a 212 I bought used but personally think the 410 sounds better. I thought my Deville had a weirdness to it with the upper mids. Whenever I tried to EQ it out, the amp would sound too thin and harsh.

Since you don't mind a heavy amp I would try and grab a Silverface Pro Reverb. For a few hundred more it's 10X better.

12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Friend of Leo's

the Hot Rod Deville is one LOUD amp.

REAL LOUD.

did I mention it was loud?

13. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Tele-Meister

4x10 moves more air so it sounds louder.
    Great amps.
    As Racer5 said - hauling it around is the downside. Hand truck for the win, unless you have roadies.

14. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Had a 2x12 which i gigged for 8 to 10 years. Loved the clean sound, and it took an OD real nice. The normal drive was OK, but I wasn't too keep on the extra boost sound - that was just a bit harsh for me.
    Two things: It was real loud - gigging, I never really took it above 4 and, at the end of the night it felt like it was nailed to the floor....

15. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

Hey guys, I was just reading this thread and realized I wrote it one year ago. Too funny. I'm sitting here going, hey I had to make the same decision before! Anyway to update for those who care...I bought a peavey classic 50 410 and have absolutely loved it since I got it. How do these old threads get brought up again? Only from a search right? Weird.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  16. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

thats the amp i have. the blues deville 410,and its just flat out awesome!! pristine cleans to good old school james gang and free type marshall grind with my rockett animal overdrive!!

17. Robertzellmer

Robertzellmer TDPRI Member

I agree with this guy. You could probably find a used bassman reissue for less than a deville. It's a fantastic amp.

18. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I just took a Blues Deville 410 on trade against a stack I was selling. Never played it much but last night I was playing Brown Sugar by the stones and trying to get close to Keef's tone using a 50's RW Tele I decided to plug into the Deville. Been playing with it ever since. I had it up for sale until now I think I'm gonna pull the ad. \

Any suggestions on how to set up for Stones tones? Right now I have the drive at 3.5 Treble 4.5 Bass 11 Mid 3 Master 3 to get a sound similar to Keefs Brown Sugar Sound but its not quite there.

J5

19. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I find the best way to try and duplicate a sound is have a good stereo with some pumpin speakers in the room with my guitar and amp..then try to play with amp settings to match...I find higher volumes work better for this than trying to keep the peace with everything turned down low. I read once, that Keiths sound was mostly clean with natural breakup from the amp being turned up Loud...he uses Fender Twins mostly. My Deville 2-12 gets it close enough for most critics with a Tele plugged in ;)

20. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that - yeah I kinda figured it was a "clean-ish" sound but I'm not about to crank the BDR with 4 10's in it with ppl home lol!

I have played along to the song and the sound I have is similar. Not trying to "nail it" but just get close.....

J5

21. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity

+1 on being loud and heavy. I've had a 410 for many years and love it. I wish it had a bit more reverb

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.