Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender HMT Telecaster owners?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave Yeats, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    So, I just bought one of these on a whim. (I need to get out of that habit.) I figure I can always put it on eBay and get my money back if I need to.

So, anybody know anything about this model? Mine is the piezo/lace sensor model like the one in this picture:

http://www.telecastergallery.com/gallery/albums/userpics/HMT.jpg

2. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Well considering that's my guitar you have pictured in your link, you might say I know something about that model ;)

The HMT thinline series was made in Japan in the early 90's. There was a steel string with piezo and silverLace Sensor, a nylon string with only a piezo, and fretted and fretless P-basses with silver Lace Sensor and piezo. On the steel string and bass, the controls are volume, TBX tone, and pan. The nylon string has volume and TBX tone. There is a for the preamp in all 3 models.

The bodies are made of mahogany with a spruce top, although the bass in the picture below has a curly maple top (may be veneer, but not fotoflame). They are quite light and comfortable to wear around your neck all night.

Necks are maple with rosewood fingerboard, and there is a soft relief on the treble side of the neck heel. The basses were produced with both the regular Fender headstock and the hockeystick seen here. The neck profiles are pretty thin.

I've seen the steel string in 3 color sunburst, cherry sunburst, black and natural, basses in the same finishes except no black. The nylon only seen in 3 color sunburst.

These are nice instruments, very well built like most of the MIJ products, with excellent and usable tones.

Photo won't post using [​IMG] tages. Try the link. http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/photo.php?id=11919

There was also an HMT Tele thinline with double humbuckers and a Floyd Rose - truly a Heavy MetalTele

BTW, this makes us even for me posting the pic of your Tele XII, right, Dave?

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    The only famous user of the HMT

Is singer songwriter Heather Nova. Her black HMT has been her main stage guitar since the start of her career.

[​IMG]

She later had the Fender Custom shop refinish it in gold sparkle.

4. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    I'd like to see a picture of that!

I think an HMT with a Charlie Christian pup in the neck would be cool.

5. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Here you go, Heather playing her refinished HMT

[​IMG]

6. DougieLove

DougieLove Tele-Afflicted

I own a '90 HMT with the Floyd Rose and 24 fret neck. It has a Silver Lace Sensor in the neck position and it came with a DiMarzio humbucker in the bridge. I replaced that with a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker.

The only thing that's odd is that the neck is a 25.1" scale length. But, the odd scale is only on the ones with a 24 fret neck. The 21/22 fret versions have a 25.5" scale neck.

bloomz likes this.

7. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Ha! Thanks for the info, Tele295. The one I got is a sunburst model, although I like the looks of your cherry sunburst, too. I have the steel string lace sensor/piezo combination with the Strat headstock. It's kind of an oddball tele (is it even a tele?), but I'm anxious to try it for a while. Do you typically play it through a guitar amp or an acoustic amp or the PA?

By the way, try this link to the gold sparkle refin HMT (I couldn't see the picture in the above post):

http://www.cdstarts.de/bilder/datenbank/Heather Nova/direkt/1.html

8. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    I usually play the steel string HMT through a Deluxe Reverb, sometimes with a 1x12 extension cabinet. I had acoustic bronze strings for a while, but that didn't work so well with the Lace Sensor. I've been running regular nickel plated steel 10-46 the past 5 years or so, and it sounds great with both pickups. For a pure acoustic tone, I've run it direct into my Portastudio.

I've never used the nylon string live, only direct into the tape machine.

HMT Bass, of course, goes into a bass amp.

9. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA

10. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Wow, I've never seen a black HMT bass before, only the sunbursts 9cherry & 3 color) and natural.

I like my HMT fretted bass, even though the headstock shape reminds me of 80's pointy guitars. Wouldn't mind having a fretless HMT, either.

11. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA

12. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    [​IMG]

Boy, it doesn't look like anybody's ever played that red bass. You can still read the lettering on the pickups! Mine has long since worn away.

13. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA

14. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas, USA
    I'm beginning to feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm posting a pic of the HMT I bought. I still haven't actually *received* it yet (buying it on the Internet), but here it is. I'm getting pretty excited. I'm hoping the thin neck doesn't turn me off too much. I'm typically a chunky-neck guy.

[​IMG]

15. BlueAngel

BlueAngel TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Scotland
    Hi to the TDPRI! I'm a HMT owner - currently my only Fender - so here's a pic:

[​IMG]

I originally bought it because of the very wonderful Ms. Heather Nova pictured above, who I'm a huge fan of - though I'm not going to have it refinished in gold! Actually it's very useful for all sorts of things, especially using effects and distortion with acoustic sounds, or into an electric guitar amp, since it feeds back a lot less than a hollow electro-acoustic. It also sounds really great as a straight acoustic into the PA... actually better than my Taylor 312CE in some ways.

I swapped the pan control the other way round as it seemed more instinctive to me that way (10 = bright = piezo) but it's otherwise stock.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006

16. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 28, 2004
    Maryland (US)
    How do these sound unplugged? I've read that some folks have found the Telecoustics to sound a little too thin unplugged, but nice amplified. Just wondering if these are similar in that respect.

17. BlueAngel

BlueAngel TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Scotland
    Not bad tonally, but no real volume - they're like a Tele Thinline, not like a Telecoustic. You couldn't use it unplugged except for private practice. The chambers are fairly small, not much more than around the F-hole plus quite a large control cavity, with a solid center including under the bridge; the strings go right through the body like a standard Tele too, not just through the back of the bridge. Definitely a solidbody with some acoustic character rather than a Tele-shaped electro-acoustic.

The interesting thing is how good the amplified sound is - it's something to do with the mix of magnetic and piezo pickups, it sounds more 'acoustic' with the pan control around halfway than with it all the way to the piezo, to me. It also sounds better than any other semi-solid electric/acoustic hybrid I've ever heard, including the Taylor T5. Fender should reissue it...

18. Tele295

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    I don't know what they used for the piezo pickup in the HMT, but it's one of the best I've used.

19. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I read this thread yesterday, then happened to go to my local GC. What do you know! They have a used steel-string HMT with a natural spruce top. My friend and I played around with it for a bit, but were only starting to figure out the knobs. One was obviously volume, but the other two had center detents. I remembered from this thread that one was a blend pot, but we couldn't figure out the other one (tone with a detent? What??).

Anyhoo, it was nice and my GC guy kept lowering the price for us, trying to get us to bite. I don't have the money, but might pull out the plastic if it sits around for too long.

20. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    I think Mike Rice has/had one. He's your go to man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.