Fender Help - What year, what country, etc

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adam79, Jun 24, 2019.

1. adam79

adam79 TDPRI Member

I've been stuck playing a Squier Strat for what seems like forever; I'm long past due for a new baby. I've been procrastinating about whether to go with a Gibby LP or stay with Fender...it'll most likely be Fender.

I've noticed, atleast with the newer Fenders, that the American made ones aren't that far removed from the 2nd tier Mexican made? Or whatever country it is.

I know that their are definite eras for the Fender amps that are better than others. What about for the guitars? The early ones are obviously are where it's at, but I can't afford a Pre-CBS.

Any suggestions on what years, or era(s) I should take a look at? I got $1500, maybe a bit more.

Thanks.

2. coolidge

coolidge TDPRI Member

You have way more money than you need for a premium U.S.A. used Strat or Tele. Even a used elite is within your budget. Within the Fender line there are more spec options than you can shake a stick at. The old medium jumbo frets. Jumbo frets. Or the current rage tall narrow frets that are as tall as jumbo's but narrower. Necks same deal. 9.5 inch radius, 12 in radius, compound 9.5 to 14 inch radius.

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

That'll get you easily into a used WW Thin Skin. I've had the '72 Deluxe, a Harrison and the vintage white [banana pudding] '64 Tele I still have. All were excellent guitars.

I specifically say WW Thin Skins because of the 6105 frets and 9.5 radius. If you're into vintage small frets and 7.25 radius go with a recent AVRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.