Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender Harvard Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rbarber45, Feb 16, 2004.

1. rbarber45

rbarber45 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 15, 2004
    Hi, I have a small Fender amp I bought in the early 80's, a Fender Harvard, Has anyone ever run across one as I haven't seen it mentioned on any discussions.

2. dandaman

dandaman TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Harvard amp

Almost, when I was backing up the equipment trailer to load the gear. Just inches from rolling on top of it!

If it would have happened I would have been "dead meat", as the other guitarist loved that amplifier!

3. Kelsey

Kelsey Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I have heard that Steve Cropper used a tweed Harvard on the early Stax recordings. I think it uses some unusual tubes relative to other Fenders, but I imagine that it sounds great.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. markophonic

markophonic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Michigan
    Probably not worth keeping...

So let me know and I'll see to it that it is properly disposed of!

:lol:

6. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    Nice Amp!

My brother has an '80s Harvard Reverb. Rivera design. It's his favorite amp & he swears by it. It's transistor in a good way.

7. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Mar 17, 2003
    Ennis, Texas
    Harvard

The only odd tube is in the Tweed 5F10 version of the Harvard, it uses a 6AT6 in the first gain stage. The later 6G10 version of the Harvard was had the normal 12AX7 first gain stage that we are accustomed to seeing in Fenders, but they cut the power section from 2-6V6's to 1-6V6. While I have seen many of the Tweed 5F10 versions, I haven't ever seen the 6G10 version.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    My sorta-kinda Harvard clone, built by Winnie Thomas ... uses EL84's, 18 watts ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... I'm building a dovetailed pine cab for it, using a Weber 15F150 15" speaker.

9. dandaman

dandaman TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Rob's Amp

That amp looks really nice! Can I have it...please? Pretty please, with sugar on it...
    Oh come on, Rob... :cry:

10. Silverface

Silverface Friend of Leo's

Mar 2, 2003
    Redondo Beach CA
    It looks like there are people talking about two different amps here. I'm guessing the original poster is talking about the 80's Fender Harvard:

[​IMG]

And others are talking about the classic 50's tweed Fender Harvard like this one:

[​IMG]

The only similar thing is that they both say "Fender" on the nameplate...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.