Fender Handwound Tomatillo pickups-what a deal!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:22 PM.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hand wound pickups do have a noticeable tonal "mojo" due to the winds being humanly uneven vs. the consistency of auto-fed winders. Thus...

Fender announces JOSEFINA HANDWOUND STRAT TOMATILLO PICKUPS... the difference from their regular pickups being these are fed to the winding machine BY HAND, by someone with a name, rather than being fed by a machine. And Fender is proud of these... selling them for just $499.00. What a deal!

Funny... I can't see anyone buying these pickups, when winders like Rob of Cavalier offer hand-fed wound pickups for a small fraction of Fender's price.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do like Fender pickups, but I have noticed that Rob's hand-fed wound pickups DO offer a bit of extra tonal "mojo".

I recently compared Fenders Twisted Tele neck/Broadcaster Tele bridge pickup combo to Rob's Lion neck and Nashville Tele bridge pickups, with two different Fender American Standard Teles, both alder body, both rosewood boards, and the same electronics. No question... Rob's pickups had a little extra richness and clarity!

HAND-FED wound pickups do kick up the tonal mojo a bit, but they don't have to cost anywhere near $400 a set.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    DADGAD and RLee77 like this.
  2. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

They are expensive because tomatillos are out of season at the moment and supply is low. Wait until May-June when the new crops arrive. The supermarket shelves will be full of them and the price will drop to something more realistic.

Zepfan, lineboat, DHart and 2 others like this.
  3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

But, think how cool it would be, when someone asks you what kind of pickups you have, to say, “Why, I’ve got Josefina’s handwound tomatillos!”

Ok, it’s not $499 cool, but somewhat cool.

DHart likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Crazy BS. Small shop winders rule for non stock.

Stock Fender USA AVRI pickups are excellent, inexpensive and plentiful too.

DHart and lineboat like this.
  5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

in 50s year time the booteek winders will be oblivion and rich buyers will swarm over a USA Fender with Tomatillo pickups .Dealer will treat them like gold dust and internet buffs will sing their oh so rare and exclusive sound .Its the way of the world.

6. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hahaha! Indeed. :lol:

7. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

They will sell a ton of these.guitar players, money, brains....oh nevermind.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.