Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Excelsior Pro

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TeleBrew, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Good to see you here Freddie. One of these days I'll talk you into bringing that amp over and I'll do the tone knob for ya.

2. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden
    Pictures?

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I bought the plain-jane Excelsior because at most of my gigs I'm mic'ed and run through the board. If I had to gig the amp straight the volume would be marginal. The stock speaker is a mishmash of vintage Jensen and other speakers with a SPL of 96dB @ 1Khz 1w/1m. The Eminence 1518 has an SPL of 103 dB. 7dB is a huge jump--like running the equivalent of 45 watt amp with the stock speaker.

If I find I'm running this amp unmic'ed at gigs, then the speaker upgrade would be the way to go. The 1518 costs around $100 plus shipping and installing one means having to pull both the upper and lower amp chassis

4. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Lund, Sweden
    It is pretty easy pulling out the amp and to change the speaker and so I did with a speaker I found in the basement - Altec Lansing 418B from early 70ties. This speaker is heavy but it really gave my Excelsior plenty of shimmering clean headroom. Takes pedals really well too. Changed the tubes to JJ ones. They work for me.
    [​IMG]

5. freddyfingers

freddyfingers TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Virginia
    There is no escape! Perhaps I should have called myself Frieda fingers.

6. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2003
    Sonoran Desert
    I just got a Excelsior Vintage Blush Pro off eBay for $275 this week. Took it to a gig last night, kind of like it. I already know that I need the tone pot on it. I'm going to mess around with some NOS tubes I have and see what different tones that brings out of it.

7. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

Jan 7, 2010
    Califon, NJ
    I want one now. On the hunt...

8. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2005
    Earth
    I just bought a surf green Excelsior Pro tonight. As a precedence, I have been gigging with a Roland Cube 80XL for a long while and have been enjoying that amp's high headroom and nice cleans (most of my gigs are with an R&B/Motown wedding band).

While the Cube is far from a thin sounding amp, the Excelsior absolutely slays it in the low end department. My baritone Tele sounds like a harmonious thunderstorm through this thing and my Jazzmaster gets beautiful cleans and a nice crunchy edge when pushed. My Boss '63 Fender Reverb pedal is a natural match for it, too. Cranked, it's a little bit too aggressive for my taste, but the volume on 2 o' clock seems to be the loud sweet spot (stock tubes, BTW).

My setting preference is the guitar input (since it unleashes the amp's full low end) and dark on the switch (since the bright is REALLY bright). It saturates too easily to be a squeaky clean amp like my Roland, but I compared them side by side and thanks to the Fender's efficient speaker, they seem to be equal in volume output around half volume on both amps. As long as I don't have any major reliability issues, I foresee this amp being a great tool to have in the box.

9. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That's a very cool speaker to have just lying around in the basement!

10. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    That funny green colour really tends to attract us Fender Folks ........ I wonder why?

The 'noise box' and my Jeff Beck CS 'noise maker' ....

[​IMG]

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Exposure at an impressionable age to a '57 Seafoam Green Chevy convertible? :p

I'm guessing the cars were Fender Corp's inspiration for offering that colour in the first place.

-Gnobuddy

Attached Files:

12. Modern Saint

Modern Saint Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2011
    So Cal
    I got my Excelsior Pro used for a $199 and I love it. Especially since I didn't need to upgrade the speaker. I did change the preamp tubes to Tung Sol RI 12ax7's but haven't done anything yet with the Power Tubes. I will be adding the tone mod. Mine has taken well to pedals. Here is clip with my G&L feeding a Wampler Hot Wired V2 at a blues jam.

Don't know if you would need to be on FB to view but here is the link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tdd...2211932&set=vb.100004651867693&type=2&theater

I have also used it with a Fuchs Plush Drive, TS9 (TS808 mod), Xotic EP, Green Rhino clone and a Red Llama Clone. So far so good!

13. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2013
    NYC
    Very Impressive!!!:twisted:

14. xjbebop

xjbebop Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2010
    USA
    Fabulous picture ^^^^ !!

We stopped by evil GC last night and they had the Pro series tagged at $199...
    Just couldn't walk away from that deal.

[​IMG]

just took a few shots of it w/ the missus hundred dollar strat...

Woulda got a "blush" if they had it... but the seafoam is a keeper too.:D

Fun little amp, for sure!

15. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

May 18, 2010
    Sweet Carolina
    Wow! The brown Excelsior for $199 is a great deal, but the Pro for $199 is an awesome deal!

16. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

May 18, 2010
    Sweet Carolina
    *TIP*

You can slide the tone switch in-between Dark and Bright!

Try it... you'll like it!

17. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Odd, the GCs here still sell the Pro for $399. Methinks someone mis-tagged it, and xjbebop SCORED!

Yes, that middle tone slider position is nice. The bright position seems to not only bypass extra (too much) treble, but some background noise as well. It is good for humbuckers though (and who cares if some extra noise is added to humbuckers?) IMO that may be what the two positions were for, SC or HB.

18. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

Jan 7, 2010
    Califon, NJ
    Check the on-line price. I think they should show up @ $199.00

19. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California

20. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2012
    Alberta

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.