Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Excelsior Pro

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by TeleBrew, Jun 9, 2013.

1. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

I've got one on the way. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for a cool looking color, so I had to pull the trigger when I saw a brand new one in surf green on ebay for $263. Can't wait!

2. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2003
    Maine
    $263 for a Pro model? Great deal!

3. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

May 24, 2012
    Kansas City
    Yeah, if it works, that's a fantastic deal!

4. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Allegedly a "display model, not used" from Rocky Street Sounds. Should be legit.

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Rocky and Street Sounds are legit....

Congrats on a good deal on a great little amp.

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Dang, $263 for a display model Pro? Yes, that would be sweet. More and more, been coming across working/recording musicians online who use the Exclsr Pro for live and studio situations. I might have to get a more efficient speaker/cab set up for my brownie, which is still being sold. I thought that line was supposed to be finished with its run by now?

7. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    Here's Thelonius Hank. Their guitarist has a white Exlsr Pro tucked in the back there.

8. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

It was supposed to be finished, but Fender decided to milk it a little longer with a speaker upgrade and new colors. I'm a sucker for surf green, so I had to get one, especially at that price ($399 otherwise).

9. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

It arrived today. It looks killer in surf green. I tinkered around with all three inputs and liked them all. I prefer the bright setting in general, but the dark setting pushes it into Blues Jr territory, which could come in handy. I have a Blues Jr, but the Excelsior is looking like a good amp to take on gigs since it has different voices depending on where you plug in and if you use bright or dark. The tremolo sounds good, too. I like that it stays on the subtler side even when turned all the way clockwise. Great amp!

10. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

11. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Dec 30, 2012
    NC

12. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

The line-up:

Attached Files:

13. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Nice deal on a great amp!

My regular Excelsior finally arrived at the local music store this past Thursday. I had sold off all my tube amps last year because I found it a lot easier to get a good '40's-'50's tone out of modeling amps. I had considered getting an old Silvertone 1483 head or amp but nowadays these run quite a bit of $$$ for a cheaply constructed amp that would likely require major maintenance.

The stock speaker in the standard Excelsior seems quite close in sound to the Jensen that was used in the Silvertone 1483--a bit farty and loose. But what was a handicap for me as a 16 year old in 1966 seems charming to me today.

The Excelsior Pro's Eminence speaker is a nice upgrade. The Pro is like a boutique tube amp at a bargain price.:)

14. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

I had toyed with the idea of getting a vintage Silvertone, Magnatone, etc, but was leery of owning something that might take more maintenance than I was used to. The Excelsior has that vibe and look.

I like the Eminence speaker, too. It's a great sounding amp at a great price even at full retail.

15. idjster

idjster Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

The Pro is a very impressive amp for #399. Your price makes it even better! :D

I bought one of the original Excelsiors for my wife, as she loved the sound of it when she heard it at our local shop, and she still loves it. When the Pros came out I a/b'd one at the store with the original and realized that the new Eminence speaker really added to it, so I got one in Sonic Blue. I was going to go for Surf Green, but then I thought 'eh, everyone is going to get Surf Green'. So far that seems to be the predominant seller at our local Long & McQuade's. Some day I'm going to get a Sonic Blue Tele to match! :D

16. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

I waffled between Sonic Blue and Surf Green until I saw the one I bought at $263. That clinched it. :D

I used to have a Strat in Sonic Blue . . . man that was a beautiful guitar, but it would've looked better if it was a Tele! :lol:

17. tonedeaf68

tonedeaf68 TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Was thinking about getting one of these also. Just wondering if it was worth the extra $$ to get the pro.

18. freddyfingers

freddyfingers TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Virginia
    Congrats on a great deal. A while back, I got a brown one that had te speaker upgraded and new and better tubes. When the guy sold it to me he gave me the original speaker and tubes as well. I paid 225. Since then I also replaced the OT with a mercury magnetics. It's not the same amp. It's considerably louder. Had I bought it at stock price, I don't think the cost of the upgrades would be justified. But at a severe discounted price, it made sense. After te OT it still costs about what a stock one costs new. But with the eminence and the new Ot , it weighs a ton! I also retolexed it in snake skin and did not replace the excelsior emblem. If I could solder, I would add the tone knob.

19. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Welcome to the forum! I can't tell you if it's worth it, or not, because I only paid $263 for my Pro, and have never played a non-Pro version. But I really like this amp a lot.

20. freddyfingers

freddyfingers TDPRI Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Virginia
    Play a stock one and the pro. See if you like it. You can get the up grade speaker for about 80.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.