Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender EC Tremolux tube question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by mad dog, Dec 31, 2014.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    I'm sorry if I posted incorrect information almost three years ago...pretty sure I checked and the EC Tremolux schematic wasn't on their website when it was new and the question was asked. Don't see how a Google search for a 5E9A would have brought up the correct information for an EC Tremolux or how somebody would know they were the same amp (but aren't). I still only see one channel on the pictures for an EC Temolux when I use Google.

(Any and all sarcasm intended, and any incorrect information I provided I truly do apologize for).

Reivaj likes this.

2. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Madrid Spain
    The thing is this amp is called Tremolux, but actually is a tweaked Deluxe, it's not a regular Tremolux. It doesn't have "Mic" channel...

That said, yes, the second preamp tube is the one creating the tremolo effect (these came with 3 x 12AX7 from the factory and so is marked in the tube chart of the amp).

Actually you can pull the 2nd tube out and the amp will play perfectly, only the tremolo won't work.
    This has been discussed in another thread/site (can't remember now)... if anything it seems to me like it sounds louder without V2, like there's more current feeding V1&V3...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

3. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Madrid Spain
    With all respect due, that makes little sense to me, shouldn't I get a Tweed Deluxe if I don't favor Neil Young for instance? What if I use the Deluxe for my own sound?

My point is this is not a machine devoted to an specific sound.
    Like many other Tweed amps, this one has a broad sonic palette, specially since it accepts pedals as well as any classic Fender amp.
    I sometimes plug my guitar directly into it, others I have like 7 pedals in front of if including Drives, Moog filter, eventides, analog delay... And it behaves equally well in either scenario.
    A bit like a Hot Rod Deluxe, AC30... Workhorses.
    Of course it won't suit all needs, but just like a Twin, JTM, Matchless or Dr. Z won't.

4. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    You are wrong. The EC Tremolux is not a 5E9-A schematic.

[​IMG]

No457 Snowy likes this.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Good to know. Differences in the tremolo section are very unique.

6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Leave it to Fender to call it a Tremolux, and base it off a Deluxe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.