Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by LeDocteur, Jan 11, 2019.

1. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 20, 2009
    PA
    Looking at one of these at an auction place. It has the noiseless pups. The back of the guitar appears to have a battery box. Is this for the pups?

2. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    Battery probably for the active V6 rotary tone control..look up the specs. $825 new. I'd prefer one without the need for a battery.

I used to have the original USA Roadhouse Strat (1997)...a Shoreline Gold American Standard with TS pickups, rosewood neck, and pearloid pickguard. I should have kept it.
    Here's one of it's cousins (not my guitar):

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=223265034687

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes; that is correct. The current Roadhouse has an active preamp that is contolled by the 2nd tone pot (a 6-way rotary switch). Fender started using that on the previous generation Roadhouse (also MIM, made from roughly 2013 to 2016, but that one didn't have the noiseless pickups).

Fender is bad about recycling names - as you say "Roadhouse" was first applied to an American Standard model with Texas Special pickups in the 1990s. When the American Series replaced the American Standards in mid-2000 Fender gave the USA model the awkward name of "American Strat Texas Special", which was eventually discontinued circa mid-to-end of 2003. Then Fender revived both the "Roadhouse" name and the use of Texas Special pickups for an MIM model around 2005-ish (I think - I've tracked the USA model changes but not the MIM model changes).

4. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    see my edited post, above.

5. John C

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    And Fender recycled the Lonestar name as well for MIM models after having originally used it for a USA model. At least they have again dropped the Lonestar name from the HSS MIM model.

6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The V6 rotary is in the first (what is normally the neck tone control) position after the volume control, and then the second tone (which is normally the middle pickup tone) is a master tone for all three pickups. I've had both the previous and the current Roadhouse, with the main differences being different colors, Vintage Noiselelss pickups on the newer version and Texas Specials on the previous one, pearl pickguard on the previous vs. mint green on the current one, and a satin finish on the back of the neck on the current one vs. a gloss finish on the previous one. The current one has a little slimmer neck and different frets too, I believe. I kept the one with Texas Specials, 'cause I preferred it slightly overall, although I think the Noiseless pickups probably work better with the preamp, which I rarely use. It can be defeated with the S1 switch in the top of the volume control. In the up position the preamp is activated, and in the down position of the switch, the preamp is bypassed completely, and the guitar functions as if there wasn't even a preamp in it. So, it works even if there's no battery installed. They're both great guitars IMO, some of the best Mexican made Strats. I just like the Texas Specials a little more than the Vintage Noiseless pickups.

7. LeDocteur

LeDocteur Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 20, 2009
    PA
    Okay so the pups are not active then? Thank you all.

8. John C

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Correct; the pickups are not active. They are the same ones used on the "regular" Deluxe Strat and are the single coils on the HSS Deluxe Strat.

LeDocteur likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.