Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Deluxe 5B3 Amp, What can you guy's tell me about it?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Wicked-T, Sep 17, 2017.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    I am wondering if the culture around repairing vintage guitar amps is changing. Is it evolving based on what we have today? 60 year old amps. I hope the stigma is improving.

I'd guess that 98% of vintage tweed amps today are players amps. They've been around the block for over half a century. They are not museum pieces.

I service them and play them.

If I ever find a 2%-er. A mint one, never touched, I'll document and photo it to death. Share it here. Then sell it. Someone will pay handily for it. I'll let someone else leave it on their shelf, unplayable.

I can't stare at a vintage amp, wondering how it might sound when it was new. How it might sound today if I plugged my guitar into it?

It took me a little while to come to this logical answer. As a player it's the only answer. A true collector and curator I am not.

King Fan and Bill Moore like this.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Wicked, don't overlook all of the resistors. They can drift and drastically affect the sound.

3. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Thanks Wally, I had to lift the board a few of the wires when it was done last
    time got loose and one of the ground wires on the right side of the board as
    well.

P1060296.JPG

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Looks like fun.

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    It's really great to work on, the caps I ordered should arrive today and should
    get it back together tonight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.