Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Deluxe 5B3 Amp, What can you guy's tell me about it?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Wicked-T, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Hi all,

I was just on reverb and a seller had a Princeton Reverb blackface 1965 and a Deluxe 5B3
    (1954?) and I went crazy and went for the Deluxe. The Seller said I has not been played since
    the 90's (Some hope there) has no speaker but the tubes are there should get it by
    Wed. (hopefully).

thegeezer likes this.

2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Don't be tempted to turn it on until it's been thoroughly checked. If one of the filter caps goes bang, you could lose an irreplaceable transformer with it.

If you don't know your way around amplifier guts find someone who does.

Find someone who repairs vintage radios and take it to them. Amps of that vintage are very similar to old console radios

clintj and robrob like this.

4. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    When I get it I'm going to go thru it myself. I really enjoy going though these amps
    it's a fun to get them to work.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

5. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Good. Ditto here. Resurrecting a long dead storage-unit- IMG_20170907_132815.jpg escapee 68 VC myself

6. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Service it faithfully to spec and put a speaker in it as faithful to the original as possible (the speaker is as much of the tone of these things as anything) and you ought to love it. I urge you to find an old P12R or Q or call Weber. A 5B3 would have had a smooth cone originally.

I have a '54 5d3 (same tube set as a 5e3) and it's my favorite all time amp. It's all I've used since I got it five years ago. It did two gigs last weekend. There's something about those early Deluxes that you just can't get out of a 5E3...maybe not better, but a little more raw and raucous kind of thing. And the clean tones....

Yeah...great score.

RedRock, robrob and FenderLover like this.

7. thegeezer

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Also, if it's a 5B3 it's probably a '53 most likely. Look for the date code on the tube chart. If it starts with a "C" it's a '53.

8. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I do have a Weber it's a P12Q version not a smooth cone, hopefully it should be okay
    I'll try it and see, by the way does this amp have the output transformer on the chassis
    or speaker?

9. thegeezer

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    The O/T is chassis mounted on the 5B3.

I'm currently using a '59 P12Q in my '54 (the R went in for a recone and I've been letting it sit). It's a ribbed cone, of course, and sounds great in the amp. Plus, since it handles a couple more watts than the standard P12R, you can thrash the amp a little harder without any guilt.

10. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    That's good to know, thank you

11. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    That poor amp what did they do to it, a nice little project have fun with it!

12. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    A beautiful P12Q just sold on Ebay for about $160.
    I was tempted to try it in my 5E3.
    Anyway...beautiful amp, that 5B3.
    Enjoy!!

13. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Holic

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Very cool find, I've been thinking about building a octal preamp deluxe lately and probably will eventually unless I stumble across one in need of resurrection like this. Make sure you post some pictures when you get it, and maybe a demo when you get it up and running!

14. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    The 5D3 is my favorite, though I've never tried a 5B3. I'll bet it sings. Make it so!

thegeezer likes this.

15. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    It's wild but the blackface Princeton sold within a hour! Fender's are the most
    sought after in amps but I guess there's a few others as well.

16. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    It was a storage locker inductee, liberated after years. I suspect the cap can went, and someone was doing a Billy-Bob repair replacing it and rectifier with discrete items.

The cabinet, 8" Jensen alnico speaker, grille is fine. It may have a toasted 6v winding on the P/t. Going to be tested by my expert winder with his megger - if it needs, he will rewind returning to original appearance. Apart from the missing bits it's in pretty good shape and in the main unmolested. Parts cost is $110 incl. shipping to Oz for missing cap kit, sockets, pot and knob, handle and a few screws. If that brings it back to life, worst case scenario including transformer wind is about $US500 working.

1966 output transformer that tests good, 1967 P/t and 26th week 67 build - very, very early Silverface. I'm not looking to flip it - keep forever amp, fifty years old. I'll mount a stepdown trans in the base so if needs be it can return to US. IMG_20170907_132228.jpg

17. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    It is a early one look at that chrome trim!

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    See Dacious post below and DON'T turn it on until you check - likely replace the filter caps (if you can't tell how old they are replace them - and assume originals are bad. Always.)

It will have octal preamp tubes and much lower gain than the popular 5E3. Nice, fat sounding amps when serviced with good tubes. IMO don't fool with newer octals and spend the money on NOS tubes - the sound is much richer and they'll last far longer.

They are alsomuch lower in power and volume than later Deluxes, so don't expect a ton of volume...or punch. Just expect a wonderfully rich tone!

Wicked-T and thegeezer like this.

19. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    it's here and not as bad as I thought, it was needs a bit a cleaning. There was a bit of
    work done on it by Cesar Diaz his label is inside, back in 1989 he changed the big caps
    a a few resistors which he marked but the output transformer was replaced with a
    different one I think I'll replace it with a repro if I could get one might need help with
    that, Here's the numbers off the output transformer.

#606 1973

Maybe one of you guy's can let me know where this is from and if I could use it.

P1060238.JPG P1060239.JPG P1060234.JPG P1060242.JPG P1060246.JPG P1060244.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Flash1909 likes this.

20. thegeezer

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Groovin'. Has it got a tube chart in it still? A pic of that would be cool. The date code will be on it. Cosmetically, it looks good...pretty close to my '54 5d3 at left, not as clean inside but my service was done in 2011 not 1989. Cesar Diaz...wow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.