Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Custom Tele FMT HH: Allen Wrench Size for Tone Knob Set Screw?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    I got 3 Allen wrenches with my recent purchase, a 2017 Fender Custom Tele FMT HH. The truss rod wrench is 4mm, the saddle wrench is 1.5mm.

Does anyone know the wrench size for the tone knob set screw?

I want to keep a full set of wrenches on my workbench.

Thanks for your help, guys.

2. DrWu

DrWu TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2017
    NE Ohio
    Sorry I can't help, but a question, if I may. Been ogling this guitar and wonder if you'd post your impressions? Thanks.

3. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Oogling got me to pull the trigger, too. ;)

I sold all my Tele's (3 American Special's) and bought this one , which is now my sole electric guitar! :)

I'm retired now and want to keep things simple. The Tele Custom FMT HH does that for me, in marvelous ways.

What attracted me? The carved top and light weight, the flatter, rosewood board and 22 jumbo frets, the classic, Seymour Duncan humbuckers and the coil-tapping Tone knob!

You can play this Tele for hours and never get uncomfortable, thanks to the body contour and light weight.

You can grab single-coil or humbucker tones by simply pushing/pulling the Tone knob. It's like having 2 guitars in one body!

The flatter 'board and larger frets make bending strings clean and effortless.

The authentic Seymour Duncan pickups make this Tele a real player. I have always liked the Pearly Gates bridge pickup - and the '59 Reverse Wind neck pickup is a nice complement.

I've only played it a few times so far, through my new Roland Blues Cube Hot (my only electric guitar amp). I loop rhythm progressions with my Valeton Coral looper, then improvise live lead solos over the loop. Great setup!

The guitar sounds great. The amp sounds great. I plug in and get lost in the music...

I don't think you'd be disappointed, DrWu.

My $.02.

Mincer likes this.

4. DrWu

DrWu TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2017
    NE Ohio
    Thank you kindly. Congratulations on finding one that does it all for you. From the get go, this looked like a guitar that had wide tonal possibilities. It's also gorgeous, with the flamed top, bound body and channel bound neck. Compound radius is a plus, too. I prefer the amber because of the exposed wood grain on the back.

One more question if I may. With the coil tap in single mode, does the guitar sound "Tele-ish"?

5. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by "channel-bound neck"; if you mean the cream-colored, neck binding, then I agree - it's a very nice touch.

Secondly, AFAIK, the neck does not have a compound radius; it's a simple 14.75" neck radius.

Thirdly, they all have exposed wood grain on the back. Am I missing something?

Finally, yes, there is definitely an audible difference between the Custom Tele FMT HH's humbucker tones and its split-coil tones.

Do the split-coil tones of the Custom Tele FMT HH sound like Telecaster single coils?

Yes, but will you like the sound?

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

6. FenderGuy53

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    The tone knob set screw uses a 2mm hex wrench.

Thanks, guys.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.