Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender CIJ neck pocket stamping mistake?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by matthornet, Feb 7, 2013.

1. matthornet

matthornet TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Malaysia
    Hey guys, so my friend in Japan swung over to Ishibashi on my behalf to pick up a used CIJ ST62-TX in a pretty shell pink. He kindly got the store folks to dismantle the neck for shipping purposes and took random pics for my verification. I was pretty eager to see what was stamped in the neck pocket and to my surprise it reads "ST-62 VWH" (refer pic below)...

To my knowledge, "VWH" for Fender Japan denotes a vintage white finish. So why is it stamped into my shell pink strat which by right should be coded "SLP" instead? Secondly, I went through Google and various forums but have not seen or read of neck pocket stamps indicating the finish either. Has anyone seen or own one like this? Btw, according to Fender's website on the CIJ serials this guitar was made in 1999-2002. I do hope they just made a mistake with the stamp or the wrong can of paint instead of some owner's refinishing along the way. I'm not totally paranoid about it coz overall the guitar looks legit but am curious to know if they do have this format of stamping the color code and do they commonly makes mistakes like this. I hope someone with some info could shed me some light. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

3. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia
    Fender Japan.....expect the unexpected.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. matthornet

matthornet TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Malaysia
    do you think if the body is even alder at all?

6. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2004
    I ordered a new left-handed Sonic Blue '62 from Ishibashi and what I received was Surf Green. They don't offer that color in lefty.

I've never seen a color stamp either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.