Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Champion 600 upgrade

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by JM99, Sep 26, 2017.

1. JM99

JM99 TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2016
    France
    Hi, i would like advice on getting new tubes and possibly a new speaker for an upgrade of my Champion 600

asnarski likes this.

2. strat1

strat1 TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Hi JM99, I went down this route before. I added Tung Sol Reissues all around and eventually settled on a Weber Alnico 6 after trying a Weber Sig 6 & Jensen Mod speaker. I also took off the thick speaker fabric off and it sounds great. I think I put less than $100 into it and it is a big improvement.

vernon likes this.

3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    ^^^ This. Fabric, speaker and tubes.

If you wanted to go further I would suggest using NOS vintage tubes, vintage speaker (usually ebay) and maybe removing the tone stack. The existing tone stack is voiced more like a BF/SF Champ. If you like this great, but if you want a more Tweed Champ sound it is pretty easy to remove the tone stack and insert a coupling cap. If you have no experience working on amps please do not do this yourself.

I went further and made the controls more like the original. Installed a real fuse holder, power/volume switch pot etc. Way overboard for most people but it is a fun platform to tinker with. There are multiple threads on mods if you do a search.

CIMG0282.JPG CIMG0283.JPG CIMG0284.JPG

Bellacaster likes this.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I think I have JJ's in mine; they are a definite improvement over the tubes that came with the amp.

I replaced the speaker with a Jensen MOD 8 - I cut a new baffle for it and everything. It was a tight fit, but just barely made it. Also replaced the cloth.

The 8" speaker makes it sound a bit bigger and louder, but in retrospect I kind of wish I had put a Weber Alnico 6 in there since I've heard other Champ 600 owners rave about them.

5. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2012
    granby, ct
    Yes... nos tubes, Weber alnico 6”, and rip that suede fabric off for goodness sake! All good upgrades. But when folks start to talk about MM transformers, it’s time to just build your own 5f1 tweed champ or look for a decent used SF. IMHO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.