Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Champion 20

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dqami, Mar 5, 2018.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    Boy, you said it!!! I am tired of hooking up to a computer to set up presets on my Katana 100. Fantastic sounding amp, but I almost want to sell it for something easier like the Champion 40. I would like not having to post questions on forums to find out how to do something to the amp.

2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    All you need to do to save a preset on a katana is dial the knobs to your preference and press one button. You don't need to hook it up to a computer and it works just like a champion if you let it. The front panel controls on the katana are essentially as simple to use as the champion.

3. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    True, very true. But when you load the sneaky amps, edit for noise reduction, etc. it’s easy to start falling down the dark hole of editing :). But, the amp is fine as is without editing.

4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Resurrecting my dead topic. I just picked up the C40 and put it through its paces. I found the tone to be a bit flat and attributed it to the speaker since at the $199 retail price, this is one place where the cost was saved. I replaced it with an older Jensen Mod and it came to life. I highly recommend a speaker change for this amp. The c20 was fine stock but if you have a better speaker lying around, try it.

5. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I have one that I rehoused in this no name tweed cab with a 12" Celestion. BIG improvement.

EFDD819A-DC49-4524-A520-B399AA44499C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Nice! Now it has mojo

7. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Here's a crappy video I made with it.

dqami likes this.

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    The only Champion I have played (briefly), is the 100W 2x12 which, frankly, sounded awful and tonally unbalanced. All mushy bass that I couldn't dial out, and lots of treble with no mids to speak of. The smaller Champions I have heard demos of sound very good.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018

9. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    My single 12 has more bass now on certain models but not overly bassy compaired to the stock speaker. I would imagine two stock 12" speakers wouldn't sound very good.

10. mstan72

mstan72 TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Arkansas
    My wife bought one for me, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised...

...I wonder though, I really like the stereo effect when using headphones, if i couldn't run it through power amps into separate cabs? Hmmmm...

11. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    Yes, I don't think the cabinet material was doing the 100W version amp any favours either, frankly. Thin, resonant (not in a good way), and boomy.

12. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    No different than plugging the jack into a PA so why not?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.