Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Champion 20

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dqami, Mar 5, 2018.

1. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Hi, after having tried one at a GC, I was blown away how good it sounded and the effects it had for such a small package. I have come to appreciate the clean tones from Fender solid state amps and currently play tube amps and a Frontman 25. I picked up a C20 on Cl last week and having spent more time with it, still feel it is a great amp. In fact, I have owned many Fender tube amps and feel it sounds as good if not better on the modeling of the Super Champs Xd and Xs.

Anyone else have one and can share their experience or mods they have done? I have a few speakers I amp going to try this week and see if I can improve on the tone, though I must say, the stock speaker actually sounds good on this amp for everything except the metal (no biggie there)

televillian likes this.

2. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    US
    I almost got one but I didn't like that the reverb are shared I have a mustang 1 v2 and for the same money I like it

3. Mickey slick

Mickey slick TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    US
    Sorry I didn't prof read I was saying reverb and delay

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I love my Champion 40 with the 12" speaker.
    I found mine nearly new for 100 a couple years ago.

musicalmartin likes this.

5. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I bought one recent for $88 delivered from MF. I had a 5 watt tube amp that apparently blew the transformer somehow so bought C20 to replace. Main use here is for a small guitar group which
    meets on a building 2nd floor via stairs. I think it weighs about 12 lbs and is small in size.
    It gets some home use here and there also.

The amp does well and sounds very good considering. I use the green light Fender sound (Twin?)
    and generally very slight delay mainly with Telecasters. Right now volume levels are no more than 1/2 of max.

I haven't used the other amp settings much but the Vox one is decent. I have to change the bass
    and treble settings with the other various amp selections.

Slight downside is the inherent pop sound when turning the amp off. I read and tried placing an earphone jack just partially into the phone plug and it reduces the pop. For some reason now even when not placing
    the plug the pop is somewhat less loud than initially.

All in all VG amp for its type and price. I wish it had a couple little things but hey for the price met
    and exceeded expectations.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I have one, too. That's the Deluxe. The red light in the "Blackface" range is the Twin.

I really like the Blackface Deluxe model, too, but my favorite is the Princeton (amber light).

Geo likes this.

7. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Yes, my fav also is the BF Deluxe. Quiet and clean chime with fat bass . I Ended up swapping the stock speaker with a Vox Bulldog I got from a nonworkinf Pathfinder. It seems to hold up the distortion better while keeping the chime. Handles the metal settings better as well though still noisy, even with the tone knob turned way down for the fat power chords. Not everyones thing but kinda fun for a change.

Jim Dep likes this.

8. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK.
    Two together sounds incredible and for the price well....... .

9. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

Sep 13, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Old Bill- How do you put two together? I have not seen or tried the champion series but am considering going solid state. Thanks!

10. rave

rave Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I had one when I got back into playing a few years back. I got it because it is less fiddly than a mustang. Easy to get a good sound quickly for practice. Gave it to my son.

11. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    I would use an ABY pedal. You could set one up for clean and another for OD like switching channels or have both going .

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    I have a champion 40 which is fine .I also have a Mustang 1 with a larger 10 inch speaker installed so maybe you fit a larger speaker better speaker in the champion 20 .I didnt open out the 8 inch hole to a 10 inch when I installed mine but it still sounded much better.Its worth pointing out that 8 inch is used to not make the amp too loud at useable room setting .My Champion 40 with a 12 inch is much louder at similar volumes as it moves much more air and carries further. I now use a DV mark Little jazz with a 8 inch neo speaker and thats fine for bar type jazz gigs I sometimes play and also less carried noise at home . Before that I used The Champion 40 which also was fine live .
    Fitting larger speakers is only worth it if you can use the better volume. Its not a given .

13. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    The cab for the Champ 20 is small, like the Frontman 15 so no chance a 10" will fit. I also own the Frontman 25R which has a 10" and is a bigger cab. It sounds great and can be found used cheap. It is voiced to put out lots of bass with the sweet sparkle Fender SS is known for.

14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    I bought a Champion 20 about five months ago and agree it's a terrific amp. Once the speaker was broken in, it sounds as good as, if not better than, some of my bigger, much more expensive amps. I like it so much I'll probably add an extension speaker output so I can run it into a 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet.

It's significant that these amps, in the 20 and 40 watt versions, seldom show up on the used market, at least here in Seattle. I'm guessing Fender sells a ton of them, and the people who buy them, keep them.

mstan72 likes this.

15. DHart

DHart Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ USA
    I have believed that tubes were the only way to go for me, but I’m seen the light with solid state.

My Yamaha THR10 really opened my ears to the wonderful cleans that solid state can have.

Then, I bought a Fender Rumble 40, a very inexpensive Bass amp with 10” speaker. After a while, I wasn’t using it for Bass anymore, so I decided to put in a JBL K-110 guitar speaker and see how it might be for guitar. The sound is awesome! It’s very directional, though, being a sealed cabinet, but the deep, rich low end at low volume is great. I just have to tilt the amp back so the speaker aims toward me head, rather than at my feet. The controls are incredibly versatile. No reverb.

So now, after this experience with the THR10 and the Rumble 40, I’m opening my considerations to amps like the Champion - perhaps seeing if there might be a Champion head and drive a 1-12” cab with it. I like clean tones at low volumes, with a full-sounding bottom end, so 12” with a sealed cabinet really can do that! The Rumble 40 with the sealed cab and 10” JBL K-110 really showed me that.

gip111 likes this.

16. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Ha, I did the same thing with a Rumble. Didn't sound bad but I prefer the Champion. You should check out the Champion 40 as it has a 12 inch speaker with more power than the 20. I'm sure it will be fairly light still as I had a Mustang II that sounded way better than my Mustang I since it had the 12 and more power (once I opened the back).

robinsong likes this.

17. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    I was asked by a bunch of ladies to come and play for a big sing-along at a bridal shower a few weeks ago. (Yes, my music career is taking off.)

I knew it would take a couple of hours and I was too lazy to work out on an acoustic that long, so I took my Telecaster and a Champion 20. I stuck the C20 under my chair on the red blackface setting and added a little reverb/chorus. Had no problem keeping the amp in acoustic-guitar volume range. Tone was rich and filled the room with a round, non-directional, sweet sound. Kicked the crap out of a scrubby acoustic in my opinion.

Usually, when people see an amp, they panic, but nobody noticed it due to its tiny size. On the other hand, a few adjustments, and I could play Clapton and Hendrix as background music and it sounded like a hippie was loose at the shower. Do you know how boomer women dance when they've had a few glasses of pink wine and hear "Stone Free"?

I wouldn't play at a bar with this amp, or record with it (?), but I'll sure be leaving my acoustic home for the baby shower I'm playing next weekend. I guess I'm saying the C20 is a great shower amp.

18. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK.
    Sorry for late reply......I use a Fender A/B box.

19. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    Isn't the Champion 20/40 the same circuit as the Super Champ XD/X2 without the tubes or connectivity? I have the XD and love it but I think the 40 would work for me as well because I hate connecting a guitar amp to a PC. Had the Mustang and gave it to my nephew.

20. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

May 19, 2012
    United States
    I play in the local junior college community band and I noticed the jazz band set up for this week's concert included one of the bigger Champion models. If it's good enough for that kind of work it's probably good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.