Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Champion (20, 40, & 100)

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Octorfunk, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Champion 40 got some love on andertons. Yay! I don't play mine nearly enough

2. LPDR Band

LPDR Band TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Myrtle Beach
    I got a champ 100 about 2 months ago. Love it!

Cliffyg62 likes this.

3. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Incoming champion 100.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

4. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Got the 100. Need to break the speakers in. Here's the two together:
    [​IMG]

Cliffyg62 likes this.

5. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    That’s gonna sound nice.
    Added an xtomp pedal in front of champion 40, Amazing...

Staypuft1652 likes this.

6. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    That sounds like a good pedal from what I've seen online. There was one for sale locally but they wanted a bit more than I had at the time. How do you like the 40?

Cliffyg62 likes this.

7. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Love it. I always come back to it. Testing pedals with channel one is my goto. Ran some of the amp sims on it and they sounded great. Sounds great, easy to use. When I need a simple playing experience easy to dial in... I like the higher gains stuff on it as well.
    when that 100 breaks in its gotta sound good.
    The xtomp has so many nice sounds it was fun just running through them all on that channel.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

8. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Holic

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    I’ve got a Champion 20 and it is good for what I need at home.

When I first got it I was a bit overwhelmed by the 12 different voices and however many different effects and was unimpressed that with all those sounds I couldn’t find any I liked. I even looked online for recommended settings to no avail as everyone seemed to prefer the Mustang range at the time. Eventually I took the time to dial it in and found the clean sound I like on the first ‘red’ Tweed and Blackface voices and was really pleased with it. Similarly with the range of effects available, it took time to find something I liked but once I did I was pleased. So I took a photo of the exact positions of the controls to refer to in future.

I use the other voices and effects for a few minutes of messing about which is fun and they’re suitable for that but I don’t use them for my proper playing so no idea if they are decent overall. Sometimes I feel by only using a couple of voices and one effect I’m not using the amp to its full potential but I guess that’s what it’s all about. I’ve got a couple of usable voices for the money so it was worth it.

I’ve noticed the hiss people have mentioned but it doesn’t really happen on my preferred settings so doesn’t bother me. I did notice that when I used the aux input the music I wanted to play along to was subject to the same effects as I was using for my guitar, which struck me as odd. I’d want the backing track to sound like it does on my iPad, but I was only experimenting and don’t use this feature usually so again it doesn’t bother me.

It is what it is, a cheap amplifier. There’s no denying that, but for my basic sound and practising at home, it comes up with the goods. If I had a more complex sound then maybe I’d find it was lacking, but I don’t.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

9. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    There's a couple voices I really like on the champion 20, the last blackface and first british. Im still learning the 100 but its really sweetening up alot.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

10. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Give those speakers time to break in. Dumb question, does it have an effects loop. Just realized a always assumed it would.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

11. Staypuft1652

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Yes. Pre out and power in is on the front.

Cliffyg62 likes this.

12. Cliffyg62

Cliffyg62 Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    West Berlin, nj
    Pop an mxr Reverb in there, man. On my 40 Princeton, deluxe rev and supersonic. I’d just never be able to crank the 100.
    Keep us updated when ur not playing the heck out of it. Enjoy.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.