Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Bullet Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jays0n, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry to Mention it :) cusucs you have a ton of Bullets to compare, and I know it is not fair. I only have two and I have not been able to make time to open up the cases and take photos.

So the stickers being outside makes all of those discolor right? Also they get worn etc. my Red/Black one seems to be an anomaly as it really looks like it is under the lacquer but it really feels like a very early model 81.

Ugh.

I’ll do my best to post some photos tonight.

2. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Well done bluespenny, nice guitar, as we said, if it plays well & sounds good, all will be good.

BTW see my post above about the tuners, if those double line klusons are original with the D-169 400 patent number stamp, they will be worth a pretty penny on their own.
    The body is probably alder or poplar, it certainly looks to be solid wood from the cavity pics, with the lauan mahogany ply bodies you can see definite layers even under the paint.
    The pickups & pots all look original & the patent applied for stamp is quite rare, they were applied to every alloy Bullet guard, but fall off easily, I had an email from John Page the Fender Bullet designer, he said Fender applied for the patent for that alloy guard on June 10th 1981, it was not granted until Feb 5th 1983, so Fender had to protect their patent with that sticker up to that point.
    The marks, stickers & stamps are quality control measures, ie trackable back to the employees that installed or made that part.
    Ref the red stain, my thoughts are that the alloy guard may be from a red Bullet & there was some paint residue left on the underside of the guard, which has stained the ivory finish on the body.

I hope you have many great days playing that bullet.

3. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Nothing is set in stone Jay, especially with Fender & their wiley ways lol, take my mk 1 Bullet with the 83 neck, that is also an anomaly, 29 July 1983 stamp on a walnut skunk maple neck, with a red tele shape body, but everything matches, same serial in neck pocket & assurance from the previous owner, who knows what went on ?

Some of my Bullets with decals applied over the lacquer are in great shape, its quite hard to tell on some necks if its under or over, you can usually see the outline on the ones over the top, but a lot of the decals applied on top in my collection are damaged in some way, usually due to bad storage conditions in the past.

I think a lot of these oddities can be explained, there must have been a transitional period between applying decals on top or under the finish, so there would be both in the factory at some point. I am sure that the bullet necks would not be the only necks being worked on in any one day & if the employee was clear coating other Fender necks & applying that over the decals, the bullet necks could be in that batch, the same applies if they were just applying decals over the top, pure speculation of course, only the ghosts of Fender past would know.

4. Santiago

Santiago TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2009
    London UK
    Beautiful guitar! In the end it's a bit like the Standard I just got: solid wood body (yours seems to be made in 1982 like mine, based on the date stamp on the neck pocket) and rosewood neck (although your tuners seem to be double-line Klusons, which is great).

Oh, and mine is Fiesta red and has some white paint residue on the neck pocket, etc.. I took pictures, so I might post them later.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018

5. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone, seems I have too much time on my hands at the moment, I keep noticing small details about these Bullets we all love, looking at the pics from bluespenny & seeing the numbers in the neck pocket, I also checked my guitars. There are 4 Mk 1 type Bullets I have with solid bodies & they are the only bodies with stamps or dates in the neck pocket, none of the ply bodies have any dates or stamps & on most of those the neck pocket is completely painted over.

The solid body mk 1 Bullet I spoke about earlier that has the 83 neck, has the same numbers 2182 at the end of the sequence as bluespenny's guitar, my guitar reads - 25 6 2182, I am not sure what all of the numbers are, the USA date format usually reads month day year, so do they add up to June (6) 21st 82 & the 25 references something else, or 25th June 82 & 21 is a ref ?

Here are some pics of the guitars I have, the numbers on the 1st & 2nd pics can be seen clearer than the others, the end number in the sequence in pic 2 is obscured by a stamp & a tooling hole, I think it reads 29 7 228?, it would be great if someone knows exactly what the code is.

thumb_DSCN1409_1024.jpg thumb_DSCN5902_1024.jpg thumb_DSCN1123_1024.jpg thumb_DSCN7182_1024.jpg

Santiago likes this.

6. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    BTW here are my two showing the differences in how the decals are applied and the finish and fret differences

Attached Files:

Santiago likes this.

7. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Yeah Jay, I have noticed the differing fret sizes, I only recall two sizes, which are the two you are showing, one is like the standard Fender vintage fret size, the other more like a fat Gibson style.
    With the decals, I am looking at Hi Res pics, which is not really conclusive, so when I have time I will have to get the Bullets out & compare details, I will post the findings, a Bullet museum inspection is long overdue.

Santiago likes this.

8. Santiago

Santiago TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2009
    London UK
    Interesting! Based on the pics I would say my Bullet's decal is over the finish (the serial is E11... and it does not say "made in USA") and the frets are the fat Gibson style.

However, while they are "wide" they are actually rather low (cerainly compared to the frets in my Gibson guitars). I bought this Bullet from the first owner who had hardly played it, so I would believe that this is how they left the factory.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018

9. Avans

Avans NEW MEMBER!

Mar 15, 2018
    Canada
    095FA3AC-2FE5-4634-9612-9B4B81BC0FBD.jpeg 4D24D844-2801-442B-BB7D-D93995357F22.jpeg D4DBFF6A-8C79-4132-836C-F39B02C464F9.jpeg C91FA5CC-C7B8-4038-89BE-726E667280F3.jpeg Hello everyone,

I’m new to this forum but I’ve spent my spare time the last few days going through the previous posts. I was looking for more info on my 1982 (I think) Strat style bullet and glad I landed on this website.

My dad purchased this guitar in the mid eighties, before I was born, and had it ever since. It never really was played for the first 10 or so years he had it until I picked it up and started learning guitar. This was my only electric guitar for about 15 years. Honesty I never realized how much of a gem this guitar was until recently when I started looking at buying a new American made Strat. I figured my bullet must have the 7.25 radius neck because anytime I’m in a guitar store most of the guitars have larger necks and just dont feel “right”. There’s something about the fender bullet that no other guitar I try out has. So I accepted my fate and decided this bullet will remain as my forever guitar, so I did some more research on the history of the guitar and was pleasantly surprised that this economy guitar of the eighties is actually a well respected and valued piece of history.

One thing I’ve always wished this guitar had was louder pickups though. Maybe it won’t sound as good but I feel I need to change things up a bit. I’m thinking of purchasing a new pick guard off eBay and putting Texas Special pickups in it. I would keep the original guard and pickups stored away so I could always go back to original. Any advice before I make this change?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Santiago likes this.

10. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Avans Welcome to the club, that is a great story, please PM me.

11. bluespenny

bluespenny TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Canada

12. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    The strap is or was a generic 'Fender' item, often given away (or sold no doubt) by Fender dealerships.

Try your local Fender outlet, as they will often appear on those guitar shop strap racks, or perhaps check out a fellow Fender enthusiast in your area. Shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Hey bluespenny..they may even have become a highly valued collectible by now. I'll check my stash.
    Good luck with the booklet.

13. Santiago

Santiago TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2009
    London UK
    My Bullet came with a booklet and strap, I will take pics and post them here..

The strap seems standard but is made of leather and it's much nicer than the Fender ones that one can buy now. Probably similar to the ones one could get at the time.

The booklet has some information, including some set-up advice that is not actually that helpful (it advices to set the pickups extremely low, for example).

bluespenny likes this.

14. bluespenny

bluespenny TDPRI Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Canada
    And naturally, having discovered the wonders of the first-edition Fender Bullet, I've now acquired a second. A local musician friend saw me playing the first on stage, and after the set, asked if I'd like to buy another that he had stashed away... Why yes, yes I would.
    It's the same from ten feet away, but I could easily tell the difference blindfolded. Heavier for one: it's the laminate, my first is solid. Also larger and sharper - the edges aren't nearly as contoured and the body is slightly bigger, as you can see in the photo. Also the pickups on the "new" one have way more bite, despite being further from the strings. Odd, as the pots and electronics all look original and the same. The necks are twins - they both feel great and are identical in size.
    Anyway, apart from wishing Bullet 2.0 was red, I'm very happy.
    FullSizeRender (19).jpg

cuscus and Santiago like this.

15. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    San Mateo, CA
    So I guess this is about the right time to show my " new" 1981 Bullet in Torino Red ( at least that is what the sales label shows).. Could it be Dakota Red I wonder?? Anyway, I have a bunch of Fender Strats and Teles but I never looked at the Bullet... until today that is. I wandered in our like GC shop and they had a new arrival hanging on the "vintage" wall. Grabbed it and got to the soundproof room with a VOX AC 30. I must say, this little Bullet just totally amazed me, great sound on Neck and Middle Position and surprisingly, a serious TELE sound from the bridge pick-up. The sound was very well balanced, crisp, clear and bags of sustain ( I am sure the AC30 helped too). The neck was wonderful, all frets fretted correctly (LOL), the neck seems to have a 12 inch radius ( it is pretty flat) and no sound-choking anywhere on the neck. The last think I needed was another guitar...but there are some guitars that talk to you... in fact they sing to you... others don't. And this guitar was chatting to me... because of the laws in Kalifornikation, a store must hold a trade-in for 30 days before the item can be picked up. Here are some pictures. Hmm. Dakota Red or Torino Red??? What 's the deal here?? Does anybody know? You can see what I paid for it ( includes the hard case).

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0748.JPG

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

16. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom

17. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom

Kontaktmoi likes this.

18. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I stumbled on this clip of a Bullet Deluxe being played live on UK TV Programme The Tube in 1985 by Glenn Nightingale, guitar player with Junior Giscombe & The Gap Band.

A close up of the Bullet Deluxe @ 2:09 - 2:31, a great solo @ 6:12 & some lovely funk licks @ 8:24.

The drummer in Juniors Giscombe's band is Mr Harbans Srih & I have had the pleasure of playing alongside him in my band Skabretta for the last 5 years, he can be seen @ 7:41 & @ 10:00 on the clip.

I had to ask Harbans who the guitar player was via text before posting this, so I got the facts correct.

Santiago likes this.

19. Santiago

Santiago TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2009
    London UK
    cuscus likes this.

20. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.