Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Bullet Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by jays0n, Jun 18, 2009.

1. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Welcome dolfer, looking forward to the pics.

dolfer likes this.

2. telesavalez

telesavalez Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    California
    Happy holidays bullet owners! Bumble and friends are on a Bullet S3 with stock red bobbins. F4D54A61-2F81-4409-A23C-FEA1273DEDE5.jpeg

3. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    telesavalez you have started something now lol - Christmas Greetings from Cuscus & the Mark 2 Bullets in Black

Merry Christmas.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    telesavalez and horax like this.

4. Docforthemarines

Docforthemarines TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Reno Nv
    Hello all. I just discovered this group and am pleased as punch it exists. I fell into one of these little sweethearts by accident on our local Letgo site. It is a 1981 S2 Strat style Bullet with a E1... serial #. I had never heard of the model before. I am very happy with this collectable and very suprised with it. I own various other guitars to include my Uncles '41 Gretsch Streamliner, Dean Cadillac, Gibson & Epiphone SG's, and a Gretsch Electromatic SS bass. Finally I have a American Vintage being somewhat modified at the Custome shop so I can play it with my severe RA. I am in the intermediate class and due to my disability do not see moving up in the future. Enough about me & my history. I have to say that this little sweetheart allows me back into the 6 string world because my left hand can work around it's neck. What a wondetful discovery. It is either blond or ivory but leans to the yellowish side. A bit road worn but plays and sounds wonderful. Even through a Rumble 40. Thankyou for being here and allowing this old Sailor to ramble and introduce himself. Bullet on all.

telesavalez likes this.

5. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome Marine Doctor!!! It is awesome to hear a Bullet helped someone physically. That small, accessible neck is what keeps me playing a Bullet (not that I play much or that others inside my plunking around on the strings, actual I laying).

Welcome!! We hope you share some photos.

6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Howdy all! My very first guitar was a Bullet. It must have been roughly an '82 Standard Bullet; it was red, double-cutaway, 2-pickups, with the saddles attached to the metal pickguard. I bought it with OHSC for $150 in March of 1988. I got rid of it for something pointy with a hum bucker. Now I kind of wish I still had it...

7. Docforthemarines

Jan 18, 2018
    Reno Nv
    Thankyou so much for the warm welcome. It is much appreciated. I will have a few pix with my next post. I saw you referring to the skunk stripe in an earlier post. Interestingly enough this one does have one. But it is extremely light and is very hard to see. In fact it is actually lighter than the surrounding neck wood. I don't know if you will be able to see it in my pix. Bad tremor due to the RA. I also wanted to mention that there are a TON of John Page stories out there. Hard to tell which are correct and not. I would love to be able to hear it from the man himself. Did you happen to have directions on how to include pics in your earlier posts? Save you from doing it again. For you tele-holic I am in bid for another Bullet and if I get it you and I may have reason for a conversation. Everyone have a great night and Ooooh Rah!

8. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Wow - A big welcome Docforthemarines, that is a great insight into your world & how the humble Fender Bullet has helped you, its really inspiring to hear. I am a fan of the Fender Bullet mainly because I have small hands & the slim necks on these guitars suit me down to the ground.
    Your guitar is a 2nd generation Fender Bullet, ie; the strat shape, it will be a 1982 or 83, the E1 serial decal was used through 81 to 84 & used on all Fender guitars from that era until they ran out of the serial number. The 2nd generation Fender Bullet neck was made with a maple skunk, so the model would not be confused with the more expensive strats & telecasters, but Fender still had a policy of using up old stock at the time & some earlier 2nd generation models had a walnut skunk stripe, these were necks already manufactured for the 1st gen tele style Bullet. It is also worth mentioning that the hardware & electrics on the USA Bullet were the same as all other Fender's manufactured at Fullerton in the 80's, many people will try to say that inferior components were used on these "student" models, I can state that this is not the case, it was all the same, also the necks were exactly the same as the telecaster necks from the same era, although the 2nd generation Bullet necks were all machined to a slim D profile & were all maple fret boards.
    We are in touch with John Page & can give you information from him that we have found out, if you have any questions, please ask, if we do not know the answer, we will try to find it & it will be fun finding out.
    As for uploading pics, it can be done several ways, TDPRI have now added an "upload file" box down to the bottom right of the page, you should be able to upload direct from your device, or you can upload from any online photo storage site.

I hope this info helps & please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

9. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hey J, forgot to say hello, got carried away with my enthusiasm .......

10. Docforthemarines

Jan 18, 2018
    Reno Nv
    Tyvm for that info cuscus. Much appreciated. You are very correct on the year of my Bullet. I viewed an interview with John Page and he stated very strongly the the Strat style body was never in the 1st generation run. I do appreciate the verification that both of you have provided me. Apparently the previous owner of this little gem was mistaken or given wrong information. I call this guitar "little" because until just recently I have been playing a Standard Precision and my cousin's Rickenbacker 4003 bass. Those 2 make anything look small. Finally there is more to the E serial numbers that make it even more interesting. It comes from a Fender tech that I have been working with on a 2018 Vintage Strat. But I will leave that until the next post. My main hobby is research. I love it when a puzzle comes together. For 32 years in the Navy/Marines I had plenty of puzzles to deal with and keep me busy. Today they are not as plentiful. Ok I am going to attempt to put a couple of pics up. Thankyou all for your warm greetings and info.....Doc 20180118_205549.jpg 20180118_214012.jpg

11. Docforthemarines

Jan 18, 2018
    Reno Nv
    Ooooops. Here is the front view. New technology for older man.

Attached Files:

12. cuscus

cuscus Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Great guitar Doc, the Bullet range are little & smaller than most Fender guitars, lots of people think they are short scale, but they are standard Fender 25.5 inch scale length, its the body size that is different, apart from being slightly smaller in length & width, the bodies are only 1 & 5/8 of an inch thick, compared to the usual Fender 1 & 3/4 inch thickness, these were all cost cutting measures.

Also the smaller body size sites the bridge pickup much closer to the bridge than other Fender's, this makes the sound of that pickup brighter in comparison to other Fender guitars.
    Apologies if you know this already, there were 5 models in the 2nd version Bullet, The Bullet ( with alloy guard - your guitar ) The Bullet H1 ( with alloy guard ) The Bullet S2 ( plastic guard ) The Bullet S3 ( plastic guard ) The Bullet H2 ( plastic guard ).

Great to have you on board, as you have probably guessed, I do a lot of research, in the early days of this thread, we had to do lots of puzzle solving & picked the John Page brain to bits lol, I'm sure he is ok with it tho, I would love to hear about the info from the Fender tech guy.
    I know the E4 serial was used for many years, also the S9 was thought to be 1979, but was used over many years, basically Fender just used the serials up until they ran out & ordered more from the Meyercord company that supplied them, Fender employees also used different serial numbers at the same time, which makes things even more confusing, some non prefix serials are found the the USA Bullets.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

13. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey he hello. It’s been too long!!! Let’s hook up and chat soon. Maybe a late/early call?

14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    @docforthemarines, I have been away from the thread a while and happened to get into it when you posted. As you can see there is a lot of Bulllet knowledge here. Mr. Page did even drop by and post, which you can find I am sure. But, you are correct, there are some conflicting stories about the early ones. @cuscus has yours figured out it seems though, which is a very nice guitar BTW.

15. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA

16. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I have started a project to improve a sort of beater Bullet I have. You can see the building of this one earlier in this long thread, but it started as a complete 81-ish body I picked up super cheap and then later a period correct rosewood neck (no skunk stripe so supposedly a good one) also for super cheap (when looking today).

Anyway it has remained totally stock for years. I ended up playing it exclusively and my nicer Bullet (the one I started this thread with is mostly packed away). But recently I found myself dreaming of other guitars and decided to just make this Bullet more what I dream of (yay!).

So I’ll start sharing those updates if the thread followers do not object.

Here are the things I am doing:

1) Fret Leveling and dressing (done)
    2) New Duncan Pickups (just got my custom order via Sweetwater)
    3) Channging to Tele bridge saddles

Today I am working on the saddles.

Initially I wanted those GT 623 saddles for converting an American standard tele to have three saddles. But they seem out of business.

Then I ordered some brass saddles and was going to drill the metal pickguard as another thread member did (there is a really nice black Bullet back in this thread with this hack). However once I got the drill out, I could not bring myself to drill it :)

So I am now drilling and tapping the brass saddles. I do not have a tap, so doing my best with time and screws. I twisted off one in there already :( but got it out and tapped nicely eventually. Here is the first one in (I hope the photo comes through)

Attached Files:

17. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Here was my armature fret leveling work. I bought a few specialized tools like a fret board straight edge thing, and sanding blocks and the stewmac three sided dressing file. I then watched a lot of YouTube videos about the leveling and dressing process. It came out great in the end.

Attached Files:

18. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh the coolest thing I bought was these fret dressing eerasers. These are for the very last step and they polish it up so nice.

19. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Here is during my leveling. I was pretty freaked out doing this since the neck is probably an 81 Bullet, and not having the skunk stripe makes it one of the most desirable ones (probably). The serial number starts with 1, and no E, and it says Made in U.S.A

Attached Files:

20. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Cool fret erasers

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.