Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Bronco- Barn Find!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SanAnTex, Jan 5, 2018.

1. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Texas
    F6D41356-D5BB-4DF0-80C0-1A8EC6C94B7C.jpeg What would YOU do with this rust bucket of a chassis. It’s a 1972 bronco and the board looks to be molded! I am unsure if the transformers are working properly. Should I restore this thing? Throw in the trash? Thanks!

studio1087 likes this.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Knowing my level of skill and diligence I would sell it on

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Are you sure it is a 1972? Did Fender still use carbon comp resistors in the 70s?

Thin69 likes this.

4. From the looks of it it truly was a barn find and not a metaphor. Not sure what I'd do but I'd like to see more pics? Transformer closeups as well. Did you just score the chassis or the entire amp?

5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Is mold conductive?

Other than worrying about that, the cap can should probably be replaced along with the white electrolytic caps. There could be other problems, but I'd bet that thats all it needs. Definitely worth someone's time to fix it up, don't trash it.

6. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I have the entire amp but dont have pics at the moment. The pine cab is in bad condition and the baffle is completely cracked through. I’m thinking about taking the cab apart and reclamp/ glue the finger joints and replace the baffle and other small wooden parts.. maybe even wrap the old tolex around it! Is this unheard of? Surprisingly the tolex it on good shape besides Peeling off at corners. I think I will restore this amp because I’ve been wanting to rebuild a small tube amp.. but I do realize this could cost more than buying a good condition VC. But it’s all about the fun right?? Yes it’s a 71/72... serial number is A 32024. Thanks again and have a good friday.

7. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Don't know if is easy or not to find old amps in US but, here, such toys are rare and valuable. If it's the same case there, restore it.

Other way, if it's a common amp that you can find anywhere in better condition, by a price lower than the cost of a restoration, trash it.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Clean it up, replace electros, find a cab and play it

9. I imagine when you are all done, it'll be cheaper than the $300 I paid for mine!

I've actually seen a Champ in a bit worse shape than yours... input so rusty they had to be replace.. it's a working amp now... so fix it up and enjoy.

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.

10. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Texas
    I will definitely restore, thanks for the advice. I already have the tubes needed and an original speaker from a 75 Champ.. that’s a head start!

11. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    My 72 SFTR had tons of them installed at the factory.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Enuff already. Why do amps get put in old barns?
    Was there an old horse in the KITCHEN??!

13. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    In my kitchen there are some old porcelain penguins. I have not seem horses yet, but my wife is nuts, don't know what could happen if she read your post...

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Was it in one of the hurricane floods? That kind of mold indicates a very humid stay. Any dampness at the wires going into the transformer? That could be bad.

Certainly looks like a project.

Look up the Uncle Doug youtube channel videos if you haven't done many amp restorations. He might have done your same model, one like it, or will give you a lot of pointers.

Cantbreak100guy and King Fan like this.

15. SanAnTex

SanAnTex TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Texas
    I’m not sure if it was in flood.. I just plugged this amp up to another champ speaker and it plays well except the vibrato is a little noisy. I suppose this means the transformers are ok?

Attached Files:

nojazzhere likes this.

16. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    If you are planning to pay a tech to service and restore it...I would not put out the cash.
    Doing it myself? Sure thing. It's worth cleaning up.

Jim Dep likes this.

17. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Yes, the transformers are OK.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Fender used carbon comps in the 70's maybe later. Pretty much the ones I see are pre ultra linier about 1977 and older.

If I had that amp in that condition I'd probably do a few tweeks and end up with a 6g2 Princeton circuit. But I'm just not a Vibro Champ guy.

19. Wrong way

Wrong way TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Washington the state
    Nice find! I would definitely restore it and if you haven't done it before it would be a great learning experience.
    I tend to look at this as you don't have anything invested in it as a starting point, put as much sweat equity into it as your comfortable with. It sounds like it works starting out so you have a great platform to work with.
    Enjoy!

20. ecosse

ecosse Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Are you sure that’s mold and not wax coming off the board? I’d be all over restoring something like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.