Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Blues Jr. IV vs Marshall Origin 20 combo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lefty Addams, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    Oh gord, there i was, all ready to pick up a Fender Blues Junior IV, and I happen to see a Youtube vid of the Marshall Origin 20C combo (that'll teach me), and of course now I can't decide, any opinions/recommendations?

I am basically comparing because they are both around the same price. Power is similar, 15W/20W.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    ianstrike likes this.

2. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Michigan
    Look at the Marshall DSL 20CR

I love mine.

3. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    OKC, OK
    I hope this thread explodes! Gotta know.

Lefty Addams likes this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I like my Blues Junior III....built-in spring reverb. I like to occasionally take out just a guitar and amp, no effects board. The Marshall doesn't have reverb. Both sound nice, though.

ianstrike and Lefty Addams like this.

5. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    I have the Bjr III tweed and that sound great.

When the Marshall Origin 20C arrived I got me one and it also sounds great.

The Origin sounds a little thin / Boxy at first, but when I dialed in the tone, it came to live.

I have now got me a used speaker cab, a Blackstar 1*12 with G12M Creamback in, and now the Origin sounds fantastic.

At home i play at 0,5w , and my wife dosent yell at me at all :)

What amp that would be the best for you ? i have no clue they both sounds great.
    But for the last month or so i only playing the Origin.

I think you have to try them out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

6. Lefty Addams

May 6, 2012
    England
    yes i guess that will be the only way, obvious really, but good to hear about your stock.

7. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    If I had chosen today, I would have bought an Origin 20 Head and a 1*12 Cab with Greenback/Creamback.

Palmer has cheap cabs of good quality with Greenback (Thomann) 1*12 or 2*12

But that´s just me :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Lefty Addams likes this.

8. Lefty Addams

May 6, 2012
    England
    I just need a combo really, but thanks ....

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    IMHO, the Blues Jr is just kinda... meh. I haven't tried the Marshall, but it looks good on paper.

So basically my contribution to this thread is totally irrelevant.

10. stevemc

stevemc TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    cape cod
    i would say the origin is more versatile.i guess it depends how you feel about cleans vs dirt.if cleans are more important,fender.like the dirt?marshall.i should also ad that although the bj has a nice clean tone it is not really a classic fender clean.good luck!

11. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    def..the DSL can do what the Origin can..i gig my DSL40cr and have it set to my plexi for base tone and then on Ultra then what flavor do you want to go from there ?..it does it !! I use it for heavy music but it does blues and rock very well... tried to not like it so much but it took over as #1

Believer likes this.

12. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2010
    grand rapids
    Sorry to burst any bubbles, but I have my dsl 20 sitting side by side with my Origin 20, and they sound nothing alike. Best I can describe it is modern & vintage Marshall. Love both of them!

13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    whatever you do, don't pay any attention to the AC15c1. Same general price range, two channels, tremendous trem and usable reverb once you swap out the tank ($25 and 20 minutes). A bit bulky and heavy for a 15 watt amp but I still say it's the best cheap amp on the planet. I've gigged mine a bunch and never (quite) ran out of amp. And it sounds great with a tele, did I mention that?

Believer likes this.

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Ha ha ha!

The good news and the bad news is that I'm no longer in the market for a new amp, otherwise you can bet you're bottom dollar I'd be telling you about it right now!

'

15. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA

16. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    interesting, had my friends Origin, and set my green channel on DSL pretty darn close, and also set the Origin to get pretty close a JMP50 plexi tone, cool thing is they both are very good at what they do, Marshall did good on these this year. I love that they paid homage to the general marshall sound..its in there..they sound like marshall[/QUOTE]

Believer likes this.

17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Holic

Feb 18, 2018
    WV
    Ooh ooh me too!!

Believer likes this.

18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Personally I think the Blues Jr "feels" higher quality but I like the way the Origin sounds much better. I owned the Tweed NOS Blues Jr but just couldnt really find a way to love the tone so I sold it. I was just jamming the Origin 20 at GC and got some great tones out of it.

ianstrike likes this.

19. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2016
    not houston
    the marshall.....all the way.

bftfender likes this.

20. Lefty Addams

May 6, 2012
    England
    Good to hear, but which one is vintage tone and which one is modern?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.