Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Blues Deluxe Servicing Question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KellyCaster71, Sep 8, 2017.

1. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Meister

Mar 29, 2011
    Humble, Texas
    I have an original Fender Blues Deluxe that I bought new in 1994. I've always kept it at home and never gigged it. I've probably never turned it up past 3. I've never had to have it serviced, but recently it starts dropping out and coming back in. Especially when I put any gain on it. After it warms up for about 15 mins it doesn't do it as much. Almost sounds like when a cord starts cutting in and out. I still have the original tubes. Does it probably just need a tube change, or do I need to get it serviced?

If I'm going to get it serviced or change the tubes are there any suggestions for the replacement tubes? Maybe something not quite as dark. Maybe a speaker change suggestion. I like the sound, but if I'm going to get it serviced was thinking of some changes that could be made, or should I just leave it stock. This the is the original MIA version that doesn't have the biasing switch. Doesn't have a scratch on it. IMG_3343.JPG

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My friend's did that. Turned out to be poorly-soldered tube sockets. Tubes themselves don't often manifest problems like dropping out unless one of them is redplating - have a look in back. If one of them the grey plates are fiery orange or red - tech time. Early BDx and HRDx were known for unsokdering bias resistors on occasion.

It's old enough that caps could be gone, too. 23 years, you couldn't drive your car that distance without oil change.....

KellyCaster71 likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Doesn't matter. It's old as a far as normal service goes. It's definitely overdue to have the filter and bias caps replaced and a general checkup done.

The best thing to do would be to look up power and preamp tube reviews and comparisons on the web. Recommendations on forums will generally be just personal preference and not all that objective - and might involve use in totally different amps. Your power tubes probably do need replacing - Fender has not used high-end tubes in new amps in many, many years - but the preamp tubes have a lot to do withthe voicing and gain structure of the amp

Archtop Bill and KellyCaster71 like this.

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Clean the pots, clean the tube sockets, and check the PCB for broken solder joints.

KellyCaster71 and Alamo like this.

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Don't forget to clean the FX send&return jacks.
    they tend to collect dust oxidisation over the years, especially when not used much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.