Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue - Actually not a very good amp is it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jamesrohr1, Jun 2, 2018.

1. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Tele-Afflicted

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    My family gave me one for Christmas many years ago. I can never get rid of it.

I kept playing with it. Pre-amp tube selection is a big deal. You can search here for various combinations. Putting a 12AY7 in V1 made the most difference.

Played it like that for a long time, and then I put a Cannibus Rex in it. Left that thing hooked up to solid state PA head for about 3 days blasting away.

Wow. That speaker cures a ton of issues with that amp. The spiky treble is tamed. Less beamyness. Now I really like this thing.

jwp2 likes this.

2. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I like my BDRI. It is bone stock and I have no plans to ever change anything. I like the cleans, which is a must for any amp I own. It takes pedals pretty well, but I am admittedly a minimalist in that regard. I can get a nice crunchy rock sound out of mine with very little effort.

I suppose it all depends on the sounds you are looking for. It may not be for everyone, but I find it to be pretty versatile with good reverb. It is not my favorite amp of all time, but I do like it and use it often. It's a keeper.

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei TDPRI Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Swapping the speaker makes a gigantic difference in any amp. I would tell anyone who doesn;t like an amp to run it through a different speaker before getting rid of it. Speakers can totally change an amp. The CRex is a perfect example.

4. RCinMempho

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Bone stock? Oh man. You HAVE to get an amber jewel light for the power light.

5. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Cosmetics? I doubt if I will do that, but you have me curious about the Cannibus Rex. Speaker swaps are simple and not too costly. I may give it a shot, just for craps and giggles.

6. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2015
    NE Ohio
    I liked the blues deluxe that I had. Great cleans and decent od . The thing I remember is rolling off the treble with my guitar was key. On clean I usually had my tone pots on the guitar to 8-7 and about 5-7 on drive. It ended up being more amp than I needed.

7. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

May 10, 2013
    Chicago
    I have an old , i guess, original, Blues deluxe. 4x10 version..bought it used a long time ago..was a good pedal platform and pretty great clean tone amp..for me, the BD excelled as an amp to plug an pickupped acoustic guitar into.

...never bonded with it's OD section at all..decent enough amp but not SO memorable, IMO, as for Fender to do a reissue...

Something on one of the boards toasted itself one day and two full sized techs i know didn't want to fix it..

I took it apart and now have the cab, speaks, the tubes..bag of parts, transformers and etc...Had never even scoped the tubes closely..was suprised to find a bunch of very old, strong, Phillips mil spec 12ax7 tubes in it..so it was sort of 'ok' after diassembly..not a total loss..decent enough amp but not like a DR or PR where it made great sense to reissue them in some form.

8. RCinMempho

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Be warned. When I put it in it sounded awful. Like it had a blanket over it.

I ran it HARD for three or four days down in the basement with a blanket over it. I didn't use the amp for that because I didn't want to put the tubes through that much stress. So I hooked it up to a solid state PA head and put some instrumental guitar music on it. Did that all day everyday from the time I got up until I went to bed for four days I think.

You'll hear it open up. It just blossoms. But it takes some work.

Once it opens up. Wow. Such a musical speaker.

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Are you sure it's not a Blues DeVille? Just curious, as the older "Blues" 4x10 I see most often are DeVilles. I don't recall ever seeing a 4x10 Deluxe.

As far as the Blues Deluxe goes, I don't think it's bad sounding - and if it's not working well with boost or distortion pedals that usually indicates either 1) the amp needs to be serviced, and/or the amp needs to be "dialed in" for your use. That may involve tube replacements, rebias, tone caps and speaker replacement. I DO think they are not a very good amp for high-headroom player where you want to use guitar controls or pedals to smoothly shift into output stage saturation without some personalized work with a qualified amp tech - but that's somewhat true of nearly all tube amps.

I don't know the Blackstar at all, but in my experience the Classic 30 isn't any better as a distortion platform.

If, however, you're running the amp at about half its output (or less - not the control settings the loudness) You may very well be dealing with "too much amp syndrome", where the thing just isn't opening up to its full frequency response. Not so noticeable when clean, but add distortion and it's very apparent.

Other than that, when well dialed-in by a tech - optimized for your playing - they can be very good sounding IMO. My issue has always been build quality as they suffer far too many PCB issues related to heat for my liking. I always gig with a backup amp, but based on the number of repairs I've had to do on various Hot Rod models I just don't consider them a solid, reliable gig-worthy amp line.

10. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

May 10, 2013
    Chicago
    Ugh....Blues DE VILLE it is..or was..i ll save my post for the Blues DeVille reissue thread that wont ever exist..

Silverface likes this.

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I’ve never used the Blackstar but I do have good feelings for Peavy amps. Not every amp has the sound every person is looking for and one could buy every pedal made and not find their tone. I sold more than one model of Fender amp until I found my keeper. I wish I had a suggestion for you. I know I went through a lot before I was satisfied. (And I have quite a collection of pedals of my own!)

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    :lol::lol::lol:

The only possible date for that to happen would be April 1st....

13. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Nov 23, 2009
    so. cal

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

14. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

May 10, 2013
    Chicago
    Responding to this mention of the Cannabis R..

I've messed with it in Fender amps..not much joy for me with this speaker though i do enjoy it in high gain situations and an old amp of mine voiced excruciatingly bright..

For me, the C-rex in Fender amps sorta of kills the whole Fender vibe..it's a dark or course but i find the mids in this speaker to be very stiff..brittlish and sort of lifeless..those could be my ears but that's always been my feeling when i put or plug a typical fender amp into this speaker..i guess i feel like the C-rex doesn't have real grace or beauty to it..dunno.

15. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

May 13, 2015
    Cicero, IL
    Never played a deluxe but had a 93 Fender Blues Deville 410 and that thing was a beast. It didn't have any magic and any messing with the eq just became frustrating over time. I traded it for a vox ac30cc2 and feel like I got the best deal out of it. It took pedals okay, both channels were lackluster. Had the stock blue speakers in it too. Upgraded tubes to tubedoctor 6l6gc and sovtek preamp tubes.

16. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I have a BDLX reissue that is not yet two years old. I love it. Especially the cleans. And, it does very well with my drive pedals. Most of the time I run it as the dry amp in a wet/dry rig. The Wet amp is currently a Marshall Origin 50, but before I got that amp I used an AC15 for the wet amp. Either combination is wonderful. I might consider changing the V1 tube to improve the volume range, but that would be it.

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I'm not a fan. I had one years ago- hurt my ears even at low volumes and had the super touchy volume that went from none to too loud with a fraction of a centimeter turn. Having said this I have seen bands with them and thought they sounded pretty good

18. RCinMempho

Jul 8, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    I can understand your feelings on the CRex.

My Blues Deluxe - when I played it - was too bright on the high end of the treble. It got brittle and ice picky. Since I have had that problem with multiple amps, I am beginning to believe it is my playing and not just my amps.

The CRex tamed the ugly treble problems I had apparently just like your excruciatingly bright amp.

Krackle likes this.

19. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    I think they fixed the quick volume change issue on the reissues. It's just a change to a different taper and value pot as I recall. Many of those modern Fender amps have had that problem.
    Al

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.