Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender Bassbreaker 15 Demo

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Freethenoise, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    I picked one of these up fairly recently. Had a few loud rehearsals with it, so the speaker is breaking in nicely.

I'm really impressed with it so far, sounds great to me.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Nice! I've really been enjoying BB15 too. I haven't really had much opportunity to crank it yet, but fortunately it sounds great even at lower volumes.

Freethenoise likes this.

3. JimmyJangle

JimmyJangle TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I tried one of these out recently, was very impressed. I had never considered this type of amp (marshall/bassman-ey) so it was a pleasant surprise. I'm thinking about picking up a 15 head when they start to pop up used.

Freethenoise and JustABluesGuy like this.

4. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    The best demo of that amp that I have seen so far.
    Thanks
    Usually the guys cant wait to go for the banshee screech, which i guess is a bit the point of this amp.
    But i like clean to mild dirt.
    Ok, the question is what about the so called "bedroom level"???
    Can you get those sounds at low level?
    When you suck you dont necessarily want the whole neighborhood to hear you!

JustABluesGuy and Freethenoise like this.

5. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    The video was recorded with the master about half way, which definitely isn't bedroom levels. The amp's volume taper is much more linear than, let's say a Blues Junior, so it's much easier to actually dial in a volume you're comfortable with.

The amp keeps up pretty well, even with the master down low. But it does what all good tube amps do and makes you wish you could crank it right up.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I haven't lusted after a "new" amp in a long while. But, then I played this one a few months back. :cool: Verrrrry nice.

JustABluesGuy and Freethenoise like this.

7. Devillian

Devillian Tele-Meister

Apr 23, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Nice sounds man!

Freethenoise likes this.

8. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    I tried the bigger 18/30 at the shop the same day I got the 15. It was really good, but something about the 15 just had more of a tonal flavour I like. It's a bit like a slightly more grunty Vox, and that's a niché I was missing in my collection.

9. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    That has been my experience too. I've had a a few cheap SS amps (I won't name the brand) that all went from too quiet to too loud with just the VERY slightest turn of a knob!

The Bassbreaker 15's volume pots alone make me happy.

And then there's all the other stuff to love as well.

Freethenoise likes this.

10. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I wish my collection had missing "nichés" but it has missing chasms! My wife just doesn't understand why anyone would need more than ONE amp! I have 4 now (just added two) and she wants me to sell the two old amps!

Actually I would like to but not to have fewer amps, but so that I can upgrade them to something better!

Freethenoise likes this.

11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland
    I was almost there,the clean channel was pretty good.
    I didnt need the other two voicings.I liked that it had the effects loop.
    Why didnt the 18/30 have the effects loop?:mad:
    Didn't buy it.

Freethenoise likes this.

12. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    Here's a little followup video I made using just the direct out build into the back of the amp.

While it's not the worst direct out I've heard, it definitely isn't as good as some third party external offerings. It sounds a bit weird and fizzy, but muting the amp and running direct into a PA would do if for some reason you couldn't run the sound from the amp into mics.

ZackyDog, JustABluesGuy and Boubou like this.

13. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    It almost sounds like you did not have the cabinet simulator engaged. There's a push-button next to the XLR jack on the back that engages it. It can be useful to disengage it if you are using your own cab simulator, but if you are recording direct without one, it should be engaged.

14. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    That doesn't bode very well for the amp then, because it definitely was engaged.

15. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2007
    new jersey
    I bought one about a month ago. I am enjoying it immensely.

16. phx1973

phx1973 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Just tried one out at Guitar Center. My favorite amp that I tried. And I tried a lot! I also plugged a Boss DD7 delay into the effects loop. No hum. Yippee! Getting close to committing. Haha

17. phx1973

phx1973 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Question for Bassbreaker owners: how does it do with pedals? I know about the effects loop hum but also wonder how it sounds with overdrive effects

18. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    I noticed while in Guitar Center last week, and also see on their site now, that the Bassbreaker 15 head is on clearance. Discontinued already?

19. Freethenoise

Freethenoise Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2011
    Australia
    I'm running mine with an OD and a fuzz with my band. It takes both of them like an absolute champion.

I don't use effects loops, so I can't comment on that, but it loves my Foxpedal Kingdom Combo.

20. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    I use a compressor and a boost plus some dirt pedals in from and mod/delay/rev in the effects loop. Works very well, no hum in the loop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.