Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender bandmaster reverb vs super reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by voodoo16, Aug 31, 2011.

1. voodoo16

voodoo16 TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Bridgeport, CT
    what are the major differences between the two amps? (talking about the guts) Is there a way to mod the bandmaster to make it into a super?

2. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    The difference is the OT. The SR has a large 2 ohm OT, the BMR has a smaller 4 ohm OT.

To mod the BMR into a SR, change the OT.

3. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have an Allen/ Heyboer transformer that has multiple taps so I can run 8, 4, or 2 ohm loads. The transformer is the only major difference between a BR and an SR of the same year, other than the cab.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The BMR is way easier to control the volume with IMO. I had two Supers [ProTube 60w and SF70w SUper Ultra Linear] and a BMR at the same time and used the BMR with different speaker cabs and cfgs and got a nice variety of sounds. It seemed like the perfect amount of power to me, or perfect and a little more. ;)

5. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've had the same Bandmaster Reverb for 20 years and for most of those, I used the stock transformer, and it worked real well for me. I actually strated buying them and turning them into Super Reverbs when I noticed that silver face Super Reverbs were going for $750 and you could get BR's for around $150 to $200. This didn't prove to be a good way to make money.

I swapped to the bigger OT because I wanted to be able to run a 2 ohm load. The bigger transformer gives you a little more bass and headroom, but there is a trade off in that the breakup point is just a little higher, which might be a good or bad thing, depending how you look at it.

A BR with the stock transfomer will sound pretty much like a Pro Reverb if you run it into an open backed 12" cab, or a Vibrolux Reverb if you do the same with a couple of good 10" speakers, plus you also have a Mid Range control that those amps lack.

You can also install a Twin Reverb OT and have a strong 8 ohm output, which is what people often do to create what is called a Vibroclone and use a single 15" speaker.

Myself, the multi tap gives me the ability to run all kinds of combinations, and right now I've got it it in a !5" Combo witha 4 ohm 15" Weber. It works well for me.

A good tech can make one work with pretty much whatever you want to fit your needs.

You can have a tech install a 2 ohm OT and get an open back 4 X 10" cab, and pretty much have a Super Reverb at that point. The whole deal depends on finding a BR for a good price. Don't use the current ones on E-bay as an example, someone here recently bought one for somewhere areound $400 if I remember correctly.

6. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA

Your point is well taken as the dual 6L6 Fenders with the smaller 4 ohm output transformers (BR, Pro Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb) do hit the sweet spot for a number of players. Enough power to handle most situations, yet not so much that you're chronically being asked to turn down trying to get it to sing.

But both the Supers you had were more powerful that the typical Silverface (or Blackface) Super Reverb, which would be somewhere between a BR and the higher power Super Reverbs that you used to own. (I'm pointing that out for the OP's benefit.)

7. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Before I left Nashville in May, I got offered for and sold my mint 73 BMR head for 750.00, original footswitch.

I think this is the ceiling, but it was the proverbial offer I could not refuse. But is was unadulterated original and mint.

I wanted to do the Vibro Clone, but could not bring myself to do it with such a mint head. But they are out there...

My favorite config was a 210 cab [still have] with one early 90s Blue Frame Alncio RI 10 and a Weber 10F150T. sounded so very good/ ;)

8. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    For most of the time I've owned it, mine was in a 2 x 10" combo cab. It was a great "toss it in the back seat" amp, yet powerful enough for most situations. I used it in an 800 seat auditorium and ran without going into the PA. I don't think I ever got a complaint about it not being loud enough. :D

I'm almost leery of bragging about how cool the amps are as the prices seem to be getting silly, and I might want to buy anohter one.

9. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    At this point in my life and with my knees and back, I'd leave it as a head. Then get a separate 4x10 cab.

Does anyone make a well built clone of the little Marshall angle top 4x10?

10. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Good to point out the differences for sure. I would say there where times, not a lot of them, where [or at least I thought] the BMR could have been a touch more powerful. For bold cleans and headroom the 60-70 watters did have more reserve, as did the HRDv212 I had prior to trying the older stuff on my trip towards tube and Fender amps then.

I had/have not played through any black face amps other than trying them out plugged in by myself. Hard to compare power without a drummer around.

I don't actually have a Fender amp anymore, funny considering I had no less than 3 at one point. The Classic 50 212 Peavey hides itself financially better in the gear pool, for a mostly non-player like me I mean...

All in all, I think that Pro-tube Super was the best of the bunch all around. A bit cheaper, a bit lighter, and even though 60 watts, a bit easier to control having that much power and still getting a really good sound out of it. Not to mention is actually had an all Birch Ply cab and baffle.

The UL SF Super cab was garbage by comparison with a flimsy thin particle BD baffle. I actually laid an additional 1/2 ply baffle over it, cause it needed to be heavier I mean. :eek:

11. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have a Mesa Studio Pre-Amp that I use with a Carvin TS100 power amp. It has the power to sound fairly massive. (Although not compared to some of the metal rigs I've heard) It's a sound I like from time to time , to have clean sounds with real impact, but not enough to drag the rig out very often. It also has a very different personality, but that's why I own it.

For 95% of what I do on stage, the BR is the best compromise for me. I spent years looking for the "perfect amp" before I realized it didn't exist. Seems kind of silly at this point in time. But at least the process was fun.

12. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Jan 20, 2006
    Northern WI Gods Country!
    There may be no perfect amp but I think a loud clean amp either tube or SS can be tweaked to get the sound you want with the use of pedals and can be used in any situation. Don't want the weight then get a head version and a cab but even that can be heavy just not as much. My EV loaded 2x10 cab is heavy but it sounds great. and my head is no lightweight either. But I will put up with it for the sounds I get.

13. fauxsuper

fauxsuper Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not taking the bait.:p

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Another BMR fan here. I run mine into a 2 x 12" small Bassman-clone cab with JBL's. The last time I gigged with it someone said, "Well, we could hear the band from four blocks away, but we could hear the guitar for eight blocks..." I didn't think I had it up that loud.

Mine's had some preamp tweaks done by Bruce Collins at Mission Amps. I have reverb on both channels and they're in phase. One has more of a "Tweed" voice. I jumper them together. I like the way the stock tranny compresses. It reminds me of my Vox AC-15. I've owned a few Super Reverbs and I'm quite content with the BMR.

I also have a Dual Showman Reverb head if I need more firepower and clean headroom.

15. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 31, 2008
    Wise River, Montana
    Have you ever ran the Showman through a 410 cab?

Justin

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

And you can see the fish right by the hook too I bet. :D

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    No, I haven't. That could be interesting... Eventually the BMR will go into a 3 x 10" combo cab.

18. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Jan 20, 2006
    Northern WI Gods Country!
    Was not trying to bait you that would be too easy. Just was stating my opinion. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.