Fender Assimilates Ron Thorn?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Sollipsist, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Probably good for all parties, cool!

3. binkman

binkman TDPRI Member

master builders?? what do they do? push the start buttons on the automatic milling centers? I certainly doubt they spend much time in any "shop"

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to meet John Cruz - a master builder from Fender's Custom Shop at a guitar store last year. He and others in the team are responsible for the build of the top level of Custom Shop builds - including the relicking and artist signature series. Although it's not particularly to my taste, the master builders do amazingly detailed work and spend hundreds of hours achieving the end result.

There's a book by Fender called "The Dream Factory" which goes into the full detail.

5. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

Paul, Thanks for posting this! I was unaware of this book. Just ordered on Amazon. $15 when original price was $200 - 92% discount. Seems worth it. Also written by the late, great Tom Wheeler.

Back to the original thread point - I wish Mr. Thorn all the best! Although I don't own one of his guitars, I've always read great things about his work and abilities. Great move by the Custom Shop.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

No problem; glad to help.

When John was at the shop, he was delivering some orders from Custom Shop. The shop had the good sense to ask him to do a Q&A for their customers and I was lucky enough to grab a place. He was a fascinating and very informative guy - really good of him to spend a couple of hours in rural Essex - albeit that he probably gets lots of business from this outlet. He also signed a number of the books that some of the customers had.

7. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

"The Dream Factory" book arrived yesterday. What a great book. Highest quality. I'm not just saying that because it features 3 of the early Custom Shop series guitars that I own (40th Anniversary Tele, 35th Anniversary Strat and Tri-Gold HLE Strat).

Highly recommend, especially at $15. Thanks again Paul!

csapo and Brett Faust like this.
  8. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Tele-Meister

I will pick up a copy,
    I worked on all 3 of those editions when I was with Fender.

Owenmoney likes this.
  9. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Congratulations! This is the stupidest thing I've ever read here!

10. VillainSean

VillainSean TDPRI Member

Obviously, someone has no clue the years of learning a skill it takes to build almost perfect guitars.

11. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

When asked about participation on a masterbuilt, in this case the 13 black moon teles built for gc, Ron had this to say: Well, on these 13 guitars I was provided a few specs: Ebony board, 2 hums, 4 knobs.
    I did the design and layout in CAD.
    I programmed the CNC to do the back operations first, flipped it, did the 50” radius carve on the top and wiring channel. That’s me programming and operating the CNC. No existing programs for any of this.
    I sanded the top carve by hand (with a DA in my hand, that is)
    I selected and resawed the quilt maple billets into bookmatched tops, glued and sanded them to thickness.
    Orientated, pinned and glued them on in the vacuum bag.
    Removed, sanded, back on CNC to machine the rest of the operations.
    After sanding, routed binding channel by hand, glued in binding, sanded....

Good gawd I’ll be typing all day and I haven’t gotten to the neck, fretting, fretdressing, wiring, inlays, assembly, setup that I did all myself “by hand”.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.