Fender - Are they missing market share?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mad Kiwi, May 13, 2019.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Excellent points by all thank you.

I'm going to spend some time with Pro Junior over the next month or so and see if I can fit that in the "gang" so to speak....reducing the volume dial spike would be a great advantage, presumably this is more a gain structure issue than a simple Pot replacement?

Thanks for the long but detailed (non judgmental :) ) post Axis29. Really interesting to hear your thoughts and experiences. I think your right re big iron, I had a month with a spectacular JCM800 100 watt and Quad stack when I first started guitar. Lived in the country so got to blast it good quite a few times. That was a sound and experience I to this day, relish!

Mustang amps have also long piqued my interest but the Vox VT and other modelling series still gives me nightmares in the modelling amp stakes....(though I did Like my Line 6 Flextone II back in the day but I was a beginner so what did I know... :) )

Axis29 likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Your determination that even .1 watt is too loud is the very reason that I now have modeling amps instead of tubes, because they sound great at the very low volume levels that my ears (and my neighbors) demand. I wouldn't be able to turn any tube amp up enough to get the tubes singing, so there's no point in me having a tube amp instead of a modeling amp.

MilwMark likes this.
  3. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I saw a video on YouTube where they adjusted a Quilter amp until it sounded like a Princeton. They got fairly close.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I thought of Swart when I read the first post.

It’s a niche area. 5 watts with features typically found in bigger amps is going to appeal to studio musicians and older guys (I think). I would love to buy aSwart some day. I would love a traditional Fender Vibro Champ with Reverb. I get it. I’m right there with you.

For now I play a HOF Mini Reverb infront of my old Champ with a Weber speakerin it. It gets me close.

If Fender engineered the amp that you crave (I think it would be great) then I’m not convinced that they would sell many of them.

This little one watt tube head has Reverb and it’s available in a combo. The head is $259. I love this thing and I never hear anyone mentioning it. Niche market?

[​IMG]

The Swart video posted sounded beautiful.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  5. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.