Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender American Standard Fret Size

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PCollen, Apr 21, 2017.

1. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    I know that, up until this year, Fender referred to the American Standard Strats and Teles as having "medium-jumbo" frets. Has it ever been determined exactly what fret size these are relative to Dunlop or other manufacturer' s fret-size standards or numbering system.

They are not as wide as the "jumbo" frets that come on the American Specials, so the word jumbo can not be considered as being the same width dimension common to both. They do seem to be exactly the same width and height as those on my MIM Classic Player 50's Stratocaster.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The term "jumbo" at its core, just means "not vintage". IMO.

In clothing, sometimes there's Medium, Medium Large and Large and this might suggest a Medium Jumbo wire is smaller than Jumbo, but maybe it is more like Medium (and term "jumbo" is just there to remind us it isn't medium vintage wire or something).

IMO, FMIC is causing havoc referring to the wire on the American Special as Jumbo. It is closer IMO to "Super". Closer to Dunlop 6000 than to Dunlop 6100.

There's a huge difference, to me, between the fretwire on an American Standard and an American Special. Fender should just come out and talk about it.

3. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    I believe they are Fender Standard frets, 0.046 high by 0.103 wide.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    While I realize this thread was started as a discussion about fret "size" I just want to chime in about fret material, specifically nickel/silver vs stainless steel. I have now been playing my first stainless fretted guitar for 7-8 months and couldn't be more thrilled! Once the frets are polished, they hold that smooth silky feel, seemingly forever and the frets seem that they'll never wear out. The Warmoth neck with SS6105 frets neck was flawless, right out of the box (no leveling/crowning needed), except for needing to "soften" the fret ends to my taste. This makes me wonder why Fender and other big name manufacturers don't offer stainless steel as a more mainstream option. I understand the whole "planned obsolescence" concept, but this whole experience has got me on the search for great "heavily" used guitars with totally worn out frets that can purchased cheaply enough to justify a new stainless fretted neck or re-fretting!
    Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less,
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.