Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender American Professional Telecaster Neck on Baja Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by idflyfish, Nov 8, 2017.

1. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    I had the opportunity to play a Fender American Professional Telecaster and I love love love the neck. I prefer it over the neck on my Baja Telecaster by far. I love the sound of my Baja so I am thinking about purchasing a Professional Telecaster Neck for my Baja. Should this work? Is there anything I should be aware of before doing this?

2. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Should work just fine (assuming you can do the setup). A bit expensive, though! For what it's worth, the neck on my Am Pro is my favorite too.

*EDIT* I guess I'm assuming that the neck pocket is the same on MIM and MIA. Pretty sure it is, but maybe someone can chime in with the absolute truth...

3. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    It will work. I have a Baja and bought a Fender 12" radius neck with narrow tall frets because it is also my current favorite neck. I was going to put it on the Baja but changed my mind. I put it on my American Special with Fralin Blues Special pick ups and it fit perfectly. Fit the Baja too. When you put it on, tighten the 4 bolts by hand. You don't want to over tighten them. I wish they sold a neck with a rosewood fingerboard such as is on my American professional but they only offer a maple fingerboard as of now. This narrow tall frets have me bending strings like Buddy Guy or Hendrix.

idflyfish likes this.

4. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise

5. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    That looks like someone took it off an American Professional and is selling it rather than it being a Fender offering. The one I bought cost $219 and was made in Mexico.

6. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    It is. More expensive but it is exactly what I want.

7. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Stratosphere been around awhile I never heard anything negative about them. I think by large they break down new Fenders and part them out. The neck is nice for sure and the Baja neck should sell quick since they are pretty accurate 60 repos other than the radius.

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

The Statosphere has become my go-to for precisely this type of thing. Yes, they part out new guitars, and charge a premium for the parts ... but you will get the exact part you want. I think I have bought 4 or 5 necks from them, been 100% happy w EVERY one!

9. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    I pulled the trigger on the neck. I'll hold onto my original neck until I feel like the new one is a winner.

10. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Nice combination, hows the fret work and action on the Baja? Thats a nice neck also I think there is perhaps just more variance in this area. The Pro necks imo have more attention to detail in this area.

The Pro should drop right in and play great perhaps the screw pattern may be slightly off but they are pretty consistent today. Screws will probably line right up.

idflyfish likes this.

11. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    I bought a loaded body and neck with tuners to build my Am Pro for just under a thousand bucks from Stratosphere. Also added the nice Elite case for an extra $99.00. Saved three to four hundred bucks over buying it retail.

12. nervous

nervous TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    idflyfish likes this.

13. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    I pulled the trigger on a 2017 AM Pro Telecaster neck for my Baja Telecaster but it doesn't fit. Any advice?

14. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    G-52 likes this.

15. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Could you be a little more specific on why it doesn't fit?
    Sides too tight? Holes don't line up?

16. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    Sides are too tight

17. MahoganyStratDZ

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Yeah they mention thats possible too. How much off is it a couple mm? If you have experience with this and you plan on keeping the Tele then its still doable. But you should in advance check the holes lining up on the two necks since you could also have issues here with plugging the holes.

I hear you though sucks. Hey it was worth a shot because some drop right in others as you see.

That considered I would send it back imho. The finish then also becomes a factor. Depends what your thinking lots of factors with woodwork-intonation and cost-resale etc.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    idflyfish likes this.

18. tele12

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    I would sand or file the sides of the neck pocket if there is not too much to be removed. Before doing anything though it would probably be a good idea to get a cheap set of calipers and see which is out of spec.

idflyfish and MahoganyStratDZ like this.

19. idflyfish

idflyfish TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Boise
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think im going to get some calipers and see which is out of spec before I take action.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.