Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fender American '52 reissue bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by expat701, Jan 13, 2012.

1. expat701

expat701 Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2009
    San Francisco
    Hi. I've been looking to upgrade my 2011 Fender American Standard Tele. As such I've been looking at SDs and other more boutique offerings. However I've stumbled across a Fender USA '52 reissue bridge pickup in good condition and at a good price.

Are these pickups any good? I'm left handed and so I can't easily go into a store and pick a '52 off the rack and try it out.

I'm wondering if this is a good upgrade for my current Tele bridge or should I just keep looking???

I play a mix of blues and classic rock. I'm wanting something a little hotter than vintage and was originally considering something like a SD Broadcaster or Suhr Classic T.

Opinions appreciated. Wayne.
  2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Tele-Afflicted

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I own a few AVRI 52 Teles and I love the pickups in them....they deliver the type of Tele tone I enjoy.They have the right balance of twanginess with meatiness all while delivering genuine Tele tone without being too extreme in any way.In fact when I bought my 2007 52 AVRI,I had a chance to A/B it against a real 1953 Tele for sale in the store.I played both guitars through the same amp and was pleasantly surprised to see how similar both guitars sounded.The 52 AVRI pickups are not super high output but they have a nice meaty midrange to them that you can Rock out with as well as Blues and Twang Country on.I can play my Les Paul std with humbuckers and then play my Tele afterwards and still have the same output.
  3. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2011
    Yes that will be an upgrade for sure!!
    The 52 avri pu is sweet. Bright and clear but not harsh. If you pass kindly lemme know cause I need to do the same thing to my '94 am standard :)
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Apr 15, 2005
    The Original Vintage (or OV) Telecaster pickups are possibly the best Tele pickups Fender makes. I even swapped out my first Baja's Broadcaster and Twisted Tele pups for a set of OVs.

But for Blues & Classic Rock, you may find a set of Nocasters give you more grit.

6. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Mine sounded OK but I like em a little hotter. I swapped mine for a 63 pro from GFS and haven't had any desire to go back since. Waiting on a twisted tele pickup for the neck position.
  7. expat701

expat701 Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2009
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the input guys... Great food for thought!
  8. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    For hotter, there's the Fender Custom Shop "Texas Specials". I have one in the neck of my Tele.... very nice... I have an older Fender O.V. in the bridge with the alnico fives. The newer ovs have the A-3s, I think..
  9. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 6, 2005
    Agree with the Wolf, Andy and TT!
  10. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2007
    raleigh nc
    Sonny wolf nailed it. I usually switch out stock pickups. These stay in. Fralins? No. Real good? Yes.
  11. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    There's nothing wrong with AVRI 52s' stock pups, but I upgraded mine to a SD Antiquity and I much rather it. JMO
  12. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    First thing I do w a new guitar is put in new p/ups, but the OVs stayed.Great alone or together, usually it one or the other.
  13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I'm thinking about sd bg-1400, or pearlie gates for the bridge of my 52 HR.. also thinking about coil tapping it..
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    I swapped out my 52ri 80's pup for nocasters...Just like them better..
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.