Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb Guitar Combo Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Recce, May 17, 2018.

1. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    What do you all think of this amp? I am comparing it to a 68 Princeton Reverb. I think with the more power it sounds fuller even at low volume. I have the opportunity to buy a used one that still has the tags hanging on it. I have an American made Hot Rod I am considering trading as part of the deal. It is worth about half the value.

By the way, I already have the Princeton Reverb and I am keeping it.

2. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I don’t own one but spent about 20 minutes playing one the other day and really liked it. I agree - even at low volume it sounded fuller, much better IMO than the princeton. I’m not sure it’s the wattage. I attribute it to the 2 10s and the larger cab.

3. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    You are most likely correct probably the larger cab and the two 10s but sounds good.

4. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    New Jersey
    I own a '68 CVR. For my purposes, the Reverb leaves a lot to be desired. It goes from none to too much with no middle ground. I use a catlinbread topanga for my 'verb. It is a good sounding amp otherwise. Keep your other amps, you never know if it'll be a keeper for you.

5. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think its great amp. We did the same thing - traded a Hot Rod Deluxe and paid the balance - and its now my wife's main amp. I like the Custom channel, she likes the Vintage channel. It can surf with the best of them, and the tremolo is lovely.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The CVR and '68 Custom VR are two different amps per my understanding. The CVR is more like a Vibroverb.

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    IIRC they’re both based on the VVRI circuit board. The only differences that matter are the component values in the tone stack and the negative feedback resistor. With a few parts and speakers, you can convert any of the three amps into any of the three amps.

8. The 68 CVR will blow the socks off of the Hot Rod (assuming you are talking about the amp, not the guitars)... it also will sound fuller/deeper than your PR, although the PR is a great amp.

I had a CVR (not 68) and still have a SFVR, I think they are among the best amps out there. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I do wander what a Celestion sounds like in a BF/SF amp... wouldn't have been my first choice.

9. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2008
    CA
    I would probably sooner buy a mid 70s vibrolux and be sure it has the original reverb tank.

10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I have played one locally a few times. Beautiful, almost unreal clean tone!

I've found that I end up turning on the bright switch and push the amp into a bell-and-glass tone with some bottom end - but if you add a dirt pedal to that, it does not sound good. I would need an ABY pedal with one channel for that ringing tone, one pulled back for overdrive. Sure, I could set one channel up for both, but then I would lose that heavenly clean.

Great amp - I just cannot seem to get away from "overdoing it". My issue, ,but still...

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I had the cvr. How do you spell loud.

12. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    I have a 68 CVR, and I love it. Great cleans, an awesome pedal platform for OD and high gain pedals, and it has more volume/headroom than I'll ever need. I also like using an ABY pedal to drive both channels for a nice overdriven sound without the need for any pedals. I also have a custom built 65 Princeton Reverb clone in my studio that is fantastic. I love both amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.