Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender 65 Princeton Reverb vs 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WilburBufferson, Jun 11, 2018.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    So, this last weekend our band went into the studio to begin recording bed tracks for our second album. I brought in the aforementioned amps to get my sounds. I have to say, I've always thought the PRRI was "the one" for me, but after A/B'g the two, the Vibrolux was the clear winner: much clearer, present and articulate. The PRRI sounded a bit warmer overall.

A lot of people rag on the CVB, and to each his/her own, but it was a pleasant surprise. Now, my PRRI has an alnico Jensen (not the standard ceramic magnet) speaker. I'm contemplating a speaker swap, but I might just sell the thing as I have limited storage space at home and am not a pro, so one amp is good enough for me.

LAGinz likes this.

2. koko1

koko1 TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Germany
    I changed the stock Jensen in my PRRI to a Celestion G10 Greenback, which was also used in the brown version of the PRRI. The sound got warmer, the low end is clearer and the fartyness of the Jensen at low notes disappeared completely.

LAGinz likes this.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've never seen anyone ever say anything less than complimentary on the 68 Custom V-Lux (the silverface one). It's a wonderful-sounding amp. Opinions are more divided on the early 90s "Custom Vibrolux Reverb" but that's a different amp AFAIK

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

4. WilburBufferson

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Interesting. I wouldn't have thought a greenback would be a match for a PRRI.

5. koko1

koko1 TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Germany
    Sorry, it is equivalent to the surf green edition.

6. WilburBufferson

Oct 11, 2009
    Canada
    Cool!!!!

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    I can second a g10 in a prri.

Came in the western tolex fsr prri 65, sounds awesome.

I play pretty high up the dial on the second input and don't get fart.

8. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    I have both amps. The only major difference is the 65 Princeton is a hand built clone with an Eminence V1030 and an extension cab with a Celestion G10 Greenback. I love both amps.

viccortes285 likes this.

9. strat a various

strat a various Tele-Afflicted

May 9, 2008
    Texas
    Sounding right for a recording session and sounding good at stage volume in a live mix isn't always the same sound. My beloved Princeton and Twin Reverb don't record as well (for my purposes) as my Champ and an old Gibson I have, both of which are underwhelming at most loud stage gigs. Apples and oranges, so to speak ... unless you're doing a live concert recording at a gig, then all bets are off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.