Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fender 1954 "Blackguard" No 2920

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by TerryOz, Mar 1, 2013.

1. furtherpale

furtherpale Former Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Melbourne - 32
    depends on the colour of your tracksuit pants :p

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Terry those are awesome..

3. mimmo

mimmo Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy

4. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    That's right

Thanks, yes I was looking for a nice Whiteguard at that time, found a good one from 1954 on the site here actually. It eventually made way for this Blackguard though. I am pretty much hooked I think. No this one came from Nashville not from Jay.
    Neck and Body dates both show as March 1954, the other one says April, so although a Month younger, it is significantly more worn.

5. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    The thought of vintage Fenders ( in this case ver vintage) Fennders finding their way to Austrailia sort of makes me smile. It seems like Fenders are very well liked down under. Goodonya!

6. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2011
    USA
    I mean "very" vintage "Fenders." I-phonetics!

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

8. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Why Thanks StoogeSurfer

Interesting thing about what you mention there...I bought #4292 over the phone in 1980 from a fellow called Frank Lucido, who ran a store called California Guitar...Pre Internet, 2 phone calls, 1 polaroid SX70 Photograph with 3 BG Teles on it (1951, 52 and 54). They all looked great, but as I was born in 1954, I chose that one. $2K later it was here in Australia...I and quite a few others speculate that it was the first Blackguard to make it here, as the first Fenders came here via Export from the factory in 1958 (ish)...Anyway, that meant $1600 in our money and everybody who heard how crazy I was, told me how I could have bought 3 new ones for that much!
    Still can!
    TerryO:cool:

9. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Those are some of the greatest looking Teles I've seen!:cool:

10. oerligur

oerligur TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    denmark
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

11. oerligur

oerligur TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    denmark
    Hey you guys.... I just bought this Fender Custom Telecaster.. but im not sure of the specs on the guitar... year, Exact model etc...

Des 164,227
    Pat 2,573,54 2,784,631

It doesnt have a serial number.. only Des + Pat

// Mikkel

Attached Files:

12. nacho

nacho Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Valencia SPAIN
    hey Terry!

youre making me salivate....again!
    so can I go pay a visit to see these beauties in person??!!!
    they sound great in the pics already.:p
    Congratulations!
    Nacho

13. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sorry, that is a poor fake of a 50's Tele. Probably a partscaster. Hope you didn't pay vintage price for it...

14. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Anytime you like Nacho!

You'd be welcome to play these guys anytime...Thanks for your input with this latest one as well! Just bought the BG Book to live with the new Guitar as well.
    TerryO

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

May 4, 2010
    San Antone
    Must be a pretty great feeling to be able to crank up those bits of musical history. Out of curiousity, does anybody know how many blackguards were made in '54?

16. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Interesting question, Nacho may know the actual answer.

I think you could only speculate as to how many and I might give it a try...But they appear to have made and stamped 5500 Serialised Bridges, prior to settling on the Neckplate as the standard place to put the Serial Number. They used those Bridges by mid (ish) 1954 and that was one of the many transitional changes made to the Telecaster in that year that they changed to the Whiteguards and placed the Serial number on the neckplate...
    So the 5500 Bridges were used up in basically 4 years, with the Esquires, Broadcasters, Nocasters and Telecasters...Given that the popularity and therefore Sales picked up as they went along. there were something like 250 Nocasters made in about 5 months, from early to mid 1951, so you'd think that the total (Nocasters, Telecasters and Esquires) for that year might have been say 700 to 800, I would think that the Total Esquires and Broadcasters from 1950 probably came to a lower number, say 600. Maybe call 1950 and 1951 combined say 1500. leaving 1952, '53 and '54 to divide the 4000 numbers up between them, but bear in mind that that '54 was only for the first half. Given their popularity, sales steadily improved and I would think it might go something like this.
    1952 1300
    1953 1700
    1954 1000, plus more Whiteguards, as well as the new Stratcasters.
    Don't forget that as well as the 5500 Teles and their variants, there were Precision Bass, from 1951 and their range of Steels. Not to mention a very significant part of the operation, Fender Amplifiers. I think Leo and his posse would still have been guitar gods if they never even made a guitar actually!

Interesting question and by comparison, I think that the plant in Corona pumps out north of 1500 guitars a day...

17. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2003
    That's a BEAUTIFUL pair , terry !!

18. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Colombes France
    THAT'S ENOUGH!! Let's agree on a date to plan a BBQ and share some beers. It's a torture to watch those marvels without feeling for a second the texture of their wood on the skin!!

19. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    I'm IN

I like a slice of Lime in a Corona or 3 these day though! Along with some Sliced up Rare Scotch Fillet and Hot English Mustard! Got some nice clean Blackface Twins and Vibroluxes that we can put them Teles to work through as well!:lol:

20. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    Just posted a few pics of this ones young brother #2923, also from March 1954. check it out. Bothe great guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.