Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Felt Tip on Rosewood Fretboard?!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Asmith, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    First off, I know this thread will derail so let's open with the question.

How would you get felt tip off a rosewood fretboard?

And because that question will get more questions than answers here's the full story.

Ok so let's start off with I know kids will be kids and they haven't learnt all the life lessons required to understand the value of other peoples property, action and consequence and that they shouldn't do what they know they shouldn't do. Although the last point seems simple, I'm still surprised by how I long it takes for some people to learn it, if at all.

Anyway, I have recently moved to a new house and had a lot of help from my girlfriend's parents, who were also looking after their grandson (girlfriends nephew) that day. We were all busy packing and moving stuff into the van so the grandson was left with some felt pens and a colouring book in the living room. He's 5 and in any other situation would be trusted to be good but my very nice Epiphone Riviera was sat on its stand where it always is. Curiosity/mischief must have got the better of him and he marked my guitar in several places, on the body, pickguard, pickup covers and the unfinished rosewood fretboard!

They're only small marks and I know this is mainly my fault for leaving a guitar out unattended around a kid but obviously the move had us all distracted. I didn't notice any marks on the guitar until I unpacked a couple of days after the move but didn't sweat the small stuff and just wiped it off with a bit of spit and a rag after all I only noticed the bits on the glossy surfaces.

Last night I noticed that there are 4 other marks on the fretboard, one is just past the furthest right fret the other is between the two frets on the left and they're all between where I spread the strings. The two other marks are elsewhere on the fretboard.

WP_20180903_09_41_42_Pro.jpg

I don't want a discussion about liability or any of that, I shouldn't have left the guitar unattended but the kid can still learn from this. Since this is my girlfriend's family she should decide if its best to approach her Sister (mother of the child) about this. Who I believe can use this as a lesson that its not okay to touch/mark/damage other peoples things and that even though 2 weeks have past it still doesn't mean that what they've done doesn't matter now.

With that part of the discussion covered with no further discussion desired I ask.

How would you get felt tip off a rosewood fretboard?

Boiled_Strings likes this.

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Zippo fluid, then lemon oil to nourish it should do it.

Kids will be kids.

cbeatles, Chunkocaster and Asmith like this.

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Knowing the type of marker used would probably be a good start. If it's water-based, a few wipes over time might do the trick. If it's spirit-based / indelible, that might be a bit harder to shift.

Either way, it might be possible to contact the manufacturer of the marker and ask them what they'd recommend as a suitable removal agent.

Another alternative is a darker woodstain applied to the fretboard (if that is something you'd consider) so that the mark either disappears or isn't as noticeable.

Asmith likes this.

4. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    Leave it there and enjoy it.

Iago, tery, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Yes naphtha and lemon oil . Beware out there, Home Depot is now selling cans of a naphtha, thinner replacement product. It will eat your nitro finish.
    I’ll be going back to lighter fluid bottles.

cbeatles, Chunkocaster and Asmith like this.

6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I agree but the voices inside my head do not! In all honesty I'm not extremely bothered by it being there but if there is an easy solution to get it off there I will take it.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    A friend used to work at a race course and they would write on the car paint with felt pen (don't ask what or why ...) Said the only and easiest way to wash it off was with this.

nojazzhere and Asmith like this.

8. Finck

Finck Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Personally, think it's better use a cotton tip with alcohol, ideally isopropyl. Then, some oil to rehydrate the scale. Being the original solvent of the ink, alcohol will remove the marks instantly.

jvin248 and Asmith like this.

9. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

May 22, 2013
    New York
    I agree leave it before you make it worse. It will probably fade with use and time. Children and dogs and sometimes cats...LOL Just be glad It wasn't an over-sized German Shepherd chewing on the peg head.

Asmith likes this.

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I shouldn't have to worry about the finish as its poly, just the binding and the fretboard itself. I should have mentioned this is a relatively modern reissue.

But its seems I best give a damp cotton bud a go first then condition the area to see if I can get it to budge. Then try a small dose of an alcohol based cleaner (I'll do a damage test on the cheapo affinity Squier though).

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Do you speak from personal experience? :eek:

12. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2016
    I had a guitar that suffered the same thing. I left it as it was :)

But to remove it I would try alcohol on the body and lemon oil on the fretboard.

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    You always take that risk here, sir. We just can't resist offering you free advice, as if we've all successfully navigated all of life's trials ourselves. ;)

Iago likes this.

14. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    That was my thought too. If it all works out with the girl then in a few years you might be giving little Percival lessons on the very guitar he once marked up.

Iago and CFFF like this.

15. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I guess you're right and in a way he's already taken an interest in this particular instrument.

CFFF likes this.

16. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

May 20, 2015
    Southeastern PA
    I have been successful removing permanent marker from a dry erase board, and a fake wood desk. Desk had a wood like laminate top. Go over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker. Just had to wipe it off. I would try a very small spot first.

17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    You could try the fixes above and if all else fails and you can still see it go over the board with a dark brown wood dye. I would probably try to sand it off with micromesh pads.

Draw glasses on the kid with a permanent marker while he's sleeping.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Manny012, tery, Asmith and 1 other person like this.

19. beagle

beagle Tele-Afflicted

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Dip the kid is a bucket of water and use him to wipe off the felt tip.

Most kids felt tips these days are water soluble.

Chunkocaster likes this.

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    :)
    This.

Chunkocaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.