Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Feelings...why the hate?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by claes, Sep 20, 2017.

1. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden

Its a great song...so why the the hate/joke status? Like the pepsi max comercial that run on MTV when MC Hammer by misstake drank a zip of coke and started singing feelings. I actually prefere Jose Felicianos version that probaly got more airplay in sweden back then.

Even as a insecure hardrockin teenager I always defended Barry Manilow if anyone dissed him. I always pointed out that Mandy was a great song and would make the ultimate powerballad for a metallband.

What's wrong with me?

ZackyDog likes this.

2. jimmytheshoe

jimmytheshoe TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 1, 2017
    Chicago
    I wish I had the royalties to Feelings, but I think even my own mother woulda disowned me for writing it in the first place lol!

Mandy does work as a heavier song, back in college we used to jam a good Replacements style version. Gotta respect Barry, he wrote the songs the whole world songs.

Morris not so much ;)

3. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Holic

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    A beautiful, well-written song.

I don't watch television anymore, so I can't comment on the MC Hammer thing.

But I can only imagine that Morris Albert's song Feelings gets disrespected because, at a certain time in history, it was overplayed on AM radio.

I'm with you on Barry Manilow.
    The guy wrote and sang some really beautiful stuff.

Funny thing about his hit, 'I Write The Songs'.
    He didn't write that one.
    :oops:

jackinjax, ZackyDog and DonM like this.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    It's overwrought and comically overly "sincere"

and barry manilow sucks

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

5. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Feelings has a nice melody, good to play just for the feel.

6. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    It is similar to this one in the treatment it gets.

Kebmel likes this.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I studied jazz with a pianist in the 1970s. She had a few choice piano trio gigs around town, and was sort of a guru to a small group of Portland musicians. In talking about gigs, the song Feelings came up. She said that it is too soon to play it, that it has been done to death already.

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    Feelings? What feelings?

I don't have time for feelings!

Chicago Matt likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I'll cop.
    I hated Feelings from the instant I heard it.
    Blessedly, I haven't heard it in an eon or two.
    Maudlin poo, IMO.
    Mr. Manilow, and his songs do not raise the same level of ire/derision.
    He's an entertainer, primarily.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

10. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Well constructed indeed, but as others have said, too much stagey "sincerity."

The thing that great jazz musicians do is take cloying, overcooked broadways songs and make something more complex out of them. "Feelings" proved to be too armored in earnestness to pull that off, so the response was to mock it.

Also in general, if something effectively evokes a response, you can be sure the machinery of pop culture will evoke the response endlessly and everywhere and for decades until finally even the most obtuse and insensitive people find it corny and annoying. Meme's songs, lines from comedy skits: they will all be run into the ground. After a while what was good in the song becomes impossible to see through the wreckage

nojazzhere likes this.

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I'll listen to anything twice.

I have hated that song since I was a child (when it was still in common rotation). Ridiculous maudlin over-emoted dreck...and that's the good points of the song.

I feel similarly about Manilow, but I can at least see why some people would enjoy his craft.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    There's a whole slew of those maudlin, schmaltzy songs out there.....Mandy, Feelings, Seasons in the Sun, Daddy Don't you Walk So Fast, Havin' My Baby.....and on and on.....I guess I shouldn't diss 'em because they are generally positive, upbeat songs that don't promote "bad stuff", but, well, it's like.....oh, nevermind.

RomanS likes this.

13. memorex

memorex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I probably wouldn't hate Feelings so much if I hadn't had to play it at every wedding gig I did in the late 70's and 80s. As for Havin' My Baby, nobody ever requested it at a wedding, except for the shotgun weddings.

jackinjax, TigerG, src9000 and 2 others like this.

14. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I can appreciate a well-crafted song - and "Feelings" certainly qualifies as that.

That doesn't mean I want to listen to it, though. "Feelings" also qualifies here.

As far as Barry Manilow - I saw him in concert back in 70's. He opened for Roberta Flack (hey, a cute girl I liked at the time wanted to go, so I took her). Honestly, I was dreading his set, but he blew the roof off the place. He had a killer band with him and he put on a fantastic show!! I gained a whole new appreciation for his talents that night.
    Which was nice, since the cute girl wasn't really interested in anything more than having someone with her at the concert.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

No, you should keep kicking them, in the hopes they can be wiped out.

Life is short. Most descriptions of life are too saccharine as it is - people should live life sweetly and sing about Evil things, rather than sing about sweet or maudlin things and do evil things to one another.

I'd rather eat radioactive waste than to have to listen to this:

16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Don't sugar coat it Boris. How do you really feel? ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 Yeah, if there is a spot in the music world that I don't like and won't hold back, it's Barry Manilow. As someone else mentioned, that song was so over played on the radio that it made me feel ill when I heard it. It makes me feel ill even thinking about it now.

One of my GFs adored his stuff ... it was a short relationship.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I would join Boris at the table serving radioactive waste to avoid listening to any Manilow stuff. Just the memory of going through that era and trying to quickly turn the radio off when "Feelings" came on probably took a year off of my life.

19. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    Mandy is a pretty song and i don't care who knows it.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I bet chicks actually named Mandy just luuuuv that song :rolleyes:

Just like Angies and Amys and Rhondas :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.