Feeding the cable thru your guitar strap

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bergy, May 6, 2019.

1. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

I dunno, I don’t feed it through the strap at all. Never really had a problem.

2. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I've done it both ways, makes no difference to me. Stepping on the cable has never been a habit/problem for me. I mean, I got problems for sure, but that aint one of them.

3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Great
    Another way to divide to TDPRI community. The chord thru then back traditionalists and the chord thru the front millennial children.
    Of course there will be the splinter groups, the Free Chord hand group which will argue purer tone by not bumching and bending the chord so close to the jack.

4. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Lol. Yeah. But at least it seems most people still use cables instead of wireless. We can unite as guitarists tethered to our equipment. We are not in danger of becoming that guy that wanders into the sparse crowd with his wireless guitar and harasses innocent people just trying to eat their mozzarella sticks.

StrangerNY, AAT65 and srolfeca like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I always provide a gentle loop in my cable so my precious notes flow freely and gently through it, into my amp and out to my adoring audiences.
    Where would I be without my adoring fans?
    Why nowhere, of course!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I've only seen people run the cable through the strap not paying attention to the direction. #2 way is a better thought.

Whenever I see the cable run through the strap, I always wonder how many have had the cable almost pull the strap off the guitar?
    Step on the cable, almost trip, rip the strap off the guitar, crash the guitar ... and be glad you're playing a Tele not a fragile headstock Gibson.

srolfeca likes this.
  7. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

2E823621-2392-4733-9E48-F12C6B4E1EE5.jpeg

Oh so here comes the persecution already.
    Yup I’m a Line6 G10 guy.
    Please lets stop this chord thru front madness. It’ll destroy the foundations of our dysfunctional community.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I like to use a 30ft cable and fashion a faux lederhosen kind of arrangement out of it to harness it securely and safely to my body and reducing the likelihood of it ever being pulled out of the guitar.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  9. Floorockous

Floorockous TDPRI Member

I feed my cable through my strap the "common way" and don't remember ever stepping on the cable. But then again I use coily cables alot when playing electric, so that helps them stay out of the way.

srolfeca likes this.
  10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl TDPRI Member

One bend higlights odd harmonics (better). Two bends reinforces even harmonics (worse, unless you are playing fuzzed out phsyco music).

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I appear to be an Option Two person. :)

I once managed to tread on my cable twice in the same solo- to general hilarity- so threading the cable has become a reflex. I change between two guitars quite regularly, at gigs but I always take the extra couple of seconds, to secure the connection a little more.

I have no shortage of methods for sabotaging my own efforts. I spilled a glass of soda water on my amp, yesterday- although I generally avoid putting things on it- and I once lost my guitar strap, between songs. :rolleyes: It was a dark stage, a black strap and I was wearing a black shirt. I was walking around in confused circles, until the drummer pointed out that the strap was still on my shoulder. :D:lol:

telepraise and AAT65 like this.
  12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

You wireless guys lack the capacitance to understand what I'm talking about. :p

srolfeca likes this.
  13. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Good idea ! Never thought of that ....
    I've never had any problems doing it the usual way, but good deal if that works better for you

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Onstage I typically go wireless, but when I use a cable, it is always front to back. I started stringing through the strap when I was 17 & broke the plastic pickguard on my P bass by stepping on a cable equipped with a straight plug. The leverage it created caused an ugly mess & wrecked the plug as well. It let the wind out of my sails enough that I remember the incident like it happened last week (I am 55 now). When I am wired in, I always ensure the cable is wedged between the strap & the body to allow friction to act as a "lock" to keep it in place, and to take the initial shock if I do happen to step on it. An acquaintance made a leather tab he snakes his cable through, then hangs it from the strap button. I think that is the most clever solution yet.

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Heat shrink tubing works better than tape, and will not peel of to leave a sticky mess. You will either have to make custom cables or remove the cable ends to slide the shrink tubing onto the cables. Use 2" lengths, spaced 12"-15" apart & ensure they are laying flat & straight before applying heat.

AAT65 and srolfeca like this.
  16. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

I’m always aware of where my cable is, and don’t step on it.

Besides, I’d rather lose my signal for a minute, than compromise the integrity of my strap.

If you’ve ever had to repair a guitar for someone who had a band member step on their cable and send a favourite instrument crashing to the floor, then you’ll understand why.

17. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

That’s why wireless in-ears are more important to me than my guitar wireless.

Catching your IEM cable on something and having one ripped out of your ear, is not an experience you want to repeat.

AAT65 likes this.
  18. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

The second way here--people actually use that other one? Everyone I know does it the same way you do.

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think that’s truly excellent advice... but probably more effort than I can handle for the time being! I will report back if I manage to get motivated enough to take it on... :)

Very true. If I’m going to spend money on wireless tech then you’re right, it will be on the IEMs long before I do it for the guitar.
    And yeah the ripped-from-the-ear thing — definitely not fun. Or easy to make it look like you meant to do it...

srolfeca likes this.
  20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So feeding the guitar cable thru your trousers leg is not the common way? :confused::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.