Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

February Backing Track

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    They're all mp3 files between around 4 mb and I think I posted at least 25 to 30 tracks so far. I still have half of them but the older one's are in my other computer which I haven't been able to retrieve because that one crash and I haven't had interest to get it going again yet.

2. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I've heard this many times but I can't remember when or where .It says that Ravel´s Bolero was used in a Star Trek in original series for the episode Amok Time fight scene , that's probably where I heard it :lol:

3. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    I don't know. The file you originally upload is what we download. But, no matter what you upload it is converted to a 128k MP3. Even if you upload a 128k MP3, it is re-converted to their 128k MP3. I always use the download link and use that file. I know there are utilities out there that will let you download the file playing but I don't do that.

It struck me how different your Country Vamp in A sounded than what I had downloaded, I didn't even hear the guitar on the right. Not a big deal though.

One thing I've learned since using Soundcloud is my mixes are not consistent at all. I need to work on that. And once you upload something you can't change it. Doh! :)

4. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Here's my take on the Alternate Track. I played around a lot with effects on this. I just did it this afternoon. I tried out a Doppler effect I've been wanting to do. It came out pretty cool but it was tricky. Had to assign 3 separate envelops to pan, volume, and the reverb send.

https://soundcloud.com/shane_bb/dorian-instrumental

I haven't listened to anyone's version of this yet, going to go do that now.

Thanks,

Shane

P.S. - Hurry up March! :D

5. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    I just discovered the multi-quote function. YAY! :lol:

I did enjoy! I love the tone you are getting. I've never tried micing an amp, and after hearing your music I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of mine so I could try micing it.

Why does everyone in the world have a made in America guitar but me! :D

That ... was one hell of a sound! That was really good!

I swear, I didn't listen to your track before I did mine. I tried going the clean route and just couldn't come up with anything. I tried a metal preset in Guitar Rig and it all kind of came together.

I like what you were doing with the whammy bar. The part at 3:12 was really cool. You really got in to it going on from 3:12. :)

6. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Mjark Thank you yes this Strat has a great sound to it. I have been spending some time with it and really enjoying it.

Thank You Shane. I tried a bunch of presets in guitar rig and the one I used just fit right for what I was hearing in my head.

I never ever use the whammy bar but some how I heard it in this track and figured I would give it a try.

I am working on the last track of the month. Since I am in no way shape or form able to play country I should warn you it is probably going to be a little different and not what one would expect...

7. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Thanks Shane for your comment

Nicely done Shane ! I really like the flow in your playing its has a nice continuity from start to end . The fade in and out was pretty cool and did you slip in a riff from Rhapsody In Blue at the 1:27 mark ?

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Part of the civic duty in the US is to serve on a jury. I got picked to sit on a jury; a civil election trial that lasted 3 weeks. Three weeks! I should actually being trying to catch up on all the work that has avalanched on my desk for my day job.

But life is short, no?

You guys are posting great tracks! You don't need this, but here's a short version of the melodious metal, I think from week 2. It has been so long that I've played anything like this that it was humorous, ridiculous and so forth. I had to put up three tracks for my guitar parts and go back and forth. A lot. Should at least make y'all feel better about your versions. SG with P90's straight into garageband, some sort of Mesa looking 4X10 with a little wah on the side. If you've got some tortilla chips, you could use some of the cheesy phrases from this.

https://soundcloud.com/colotexardo/metal-minus-metal

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

10. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Teletimetx, I am glad to hear from you; I already started to wonder and thought about to send an email to you. Well, I like your track; especially that part at 1:00 with it´s country-style-elements. It´s a little bit like transcending, isn´t it?

Shane, thank you for listening and commenting. Well, if you don´t, someone else will have to buy those american built guitars :D. You played again a professional sounding track with a skilful use of vibrato. I still don´t quite understand how you did that doppler effect; how did let the frequency of the guitar go down? Vibrato?

BTW, how does that multiquoting works? Found the button, but what have I to do?

11. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Ullrich good job, Like the tone you got there!

12. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Here's the country vamp. This was hard! In a way I felt a lot more at home here, but at this tempo I often had trouble staying relaxed and swinging. Instead it becomes sluggish and forced. This time, again, I wish I had a lot more shredability!

Just a bunch of clichés, very little of imagination and creativity.

https://soundcloud.com/guran-3/tdpri-feb-jam-country-vamp

13. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    You did well on this Guran. Indeed a challenging track to perform on .

14. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    As I stated above: the hardest track ever - if you didn´t cut your teeth on chicken pickin. You had some nice lines in there, though.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Another hard rock approach. Interesting doppler idea towards the end. I guess you have one fading out as the next is fading in, then panned accordingly?

16. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Thanks Ullrich. I did the doppler effect by using the tremolo bar and bending it just slightly. I think it's only a half step done slowly.

For the multi-quote you basically select the quotation mark on all you want to quote except the last one. You click the quote button on that one. Here's a quick vid I did.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Shane

17. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2015
    Peculiar, MO.
    Hi Mjark,

It's all one part. I recorded my finger sliding back and forth a whole step between two notes. I didn't even have to pluck the strings. The EMG pickups help a lot with that.

While I was sliding my finger between the two frets I used the tremolo bar to drop the note about a half step or so very slowly then I let it back up slowly.

During that little slide riff I set up 3 envelopes to automatically control the left right panning, volume, and a reverb effects send I put on the track.

I slowly panned hard right while bringing the volume down and the reverb up. Then I quickly panned all the way left while the volume was very low, then I slowly panned to the center while I was raising the volume and lowering the reverb.

It came out a lot better than I thought it would. :) It's really hard to do this with a mouse because you have to manually draw in the envelopes. That's why I don't mess with them too much. It's much easier if you have a controller so you can actually turn a knob while you are hearing it but they are expensive so I do without.

Here's a screenshot of what the envelops look like ...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Shane

18. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Thank you very much!

19. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Nearly forgot:

There´s a "One Chord Challenge"-Thread over at the Bad Dog Café!

20. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    OK I hope I don't lose friends over this one....

I am not a country player. I have zero country chops, I wish it were different but this is were I am today.

I originally was going to sit this one out but then I started playing around and figured I have not missed one this month so why not...

I warn you it's not good!

https://soundcloud.com/burninginstereo/country-track

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.