Favorite type(s) of guitar through Tweed amp(s)?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, May 12, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Yes, I know---for most of you, "It depends. On my mood, the song, the sound I want, because just about any guitar and a Tweed can match well," etc.

My question is, What determines what guitar(s) you choose when it depends? What's it depend on?

For example, if you want raw grind, do you go Les Paul? Or a Tele turned up loud? When you want soaring leads, or complex harmonics, etc., which guitars do you match with your Tweed(s)?

And if there is one guitar that, for you, overall, matches up best with a Tweed/better with a Tweed than with another type of circuit, what is that, and why?

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

I guess it will be the atypical answer in the thread. For me, tweeds equate with warm, round cleans with single-coil equipped archtops. I just gigged a tweed champ with my DeArmond equipped Höfner. I was a bit undergunned, but just a bit and the tone was heavenly!

wrathfuldeity and SlightReturn like this.
  3. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

If I'm playing clean through a tweed, just about any type of traditional guitar (Tele, LP, ES, Strat, JM, etc...) sounds great to me. If the amp is breaking a bit... likewise, just about any guitar. When the amp really starts to grind, that's when I narrow it down solely to a Telecaster.

ifallalot likes this.
  4. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Never played a 5e3 but always with a tele.

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I have an ES and a Tele, both with vintage pickups. I usually prefer the Tele through my 5e3 simply because no matter how I twist the knobs it sounds good. With the ES I need to tinker a little more.

6. SlightReturn

SlightReturn TDPRI Member

I’m not a big fan of humbucker guitars with anything under 15w to be honest.
    Favourite guitar with a Tweed Deluxe is either an ES175 with P90’s or a Tele.
    Tweed Bassman is an SG or a Strat. I have no idea why I prefer an SG to a Les Paul or 335 with a Bassman, I just do!
    Champ - Tele. The Strat/Champ tone is a little too ubiquitous, but still great.

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

should be interesting, have tweed deluxe of some sort coming tomorrow. Not sure how it happened. But got it for a lead monster for some sessions this month. Counting on early break on it..

8. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Tele + Tweed is the formula I always heard, around here anyways. Go figure. I bought my amp when all I had was a tele.

Now, I actually prefer my Strat through my 5e3. But both sound great. And I recently plugged a humbucker guitar into that amp for the first time and was really surprised how good it sounded. Especially in the bright channel.

What I learned was that tweeds are certainly built to do more than just single coils.

9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I was just gonna say Tele. But a few posts mentioned ES~that jogged my memories of playing an ES125 long ago.
    ES125, Tweed Deluxe, and slide:twisted:

10. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I prefer low wind/k single coils tele and strat with a tweed champ. As noted above old Harmony 162 with DeArmond 210...heavenly.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to say, Just about anything.

Tweed's and JTM Marshall's are the "everything works well" kind of amps. IMO

12. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The 5e3? I do see a lot of 5e3 posts saying big HBs, esp. LPs, aren't a perfect match. Still I recall a decent minority of folks who claim their LP slays through a 5e3, and although Mr. Young doesn't 'just' have a 5e3 in that chain 'o' amps, he seems to make it work, and Mr. Carlton showed a 5e3 can be great with a 335.

All that said, everyone here saying 5e3s love Fender SCs is right. And vice versa is true too: Tele and Strats love tweed.

*But* not all tweeds are 5e3s!!! BB King can be heard on a Bassman (reportedly a 5f6a) on the legendary 'Live at the Regal' and on a Tweed Twin on 'Deuces Wild.' Both about the best tone he ever did, IMHO. And the other big tweeds cover some serious tonal territory. So which tweed are we talking about?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  13. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i agree with king fan that not all tweeds are 5e3. i've built 3 different 5e3s, two with mods and one stock. i also have a 59 fender princeton. all of my single coil and humbucker equipped guitars sound great thru all of the amps. it just takes tweaking of the amp and guitar--voila!

play music!

14. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

My Tele is leaning on my ‘54 Deluxe in my avatar but...

I’ve used the Tele, my old Tennessean, my old Les Paul and my Strat through the Deluxe. For me, the Strat wins hands down.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I prefer humbuckers through any amp.

16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

"Tweed" actually covers too much ground for a diffinitive responce here.
    I have 8 amps, 3 are tweeds, and 30+ guitars. And any amp sounds great with any guitar I have.

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any guitar I like works fine through any tweed amp I like.
    The guitar is usually a Fender type with vintage type SC pickups, same as any other amp I'd use.

The variable would not be what guitar, as much as what volume do I need and can that particular tweed make the sounds I want at the required volume.

King Fan and Chicago Matt like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

On this topic, more or less---what Tweed (circuit + speaker size and type) has the firmest bass in the smallest, richest package of power? I.e., is there a type or brand of 5W or 15W Tweed (which circuit?) that sounds really tight with X or Y size and type speaker, but also gives that great Tweed creamy dimensionality when not pushed to break-up edges? Bells without flub, so speak?

Any great compromises between a Bassman's 3D qualities and a Champ's eagerness to catch fire?

I'm describing a Tweed Deluxe, aren't I?

If so, what particular version of the Tweed Deluxe, made by whom, etc.?

Probably should put this as its own thread....

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  19. Wally

Ime, if you want something closer to the 5F6A Bassman in a smaller tweed package, find a 5F11 Vibrolux. Or....a 6G2 Princeton. A 5E3 doesn’t go anywhere near the 5F6A in any context, ime. The 6G3 Deluxe is closer to that goal than is the 5E3. The 5E3 is a very ‘loose’ amp in comparison. The three amps I mention can rip when pushed.....like the 5F6A, they don’t lean toward that looseness.

King Fan and RoscoeElegante like this.
  20. Wally

Fwiw, the BF/SF Princeton is the continued evolution of that 5F11 circuit. The end game was the Super Champ, which is a hot rodded Princeton Reverb. With a Super ?Champ, one basically has that 6G2 P inception with the more complex AB763 tone stack....so BF Reverb cleans. Using the mid boost and the Lead mode, one can then dial in anything one wants. One can mimic any tweed sound one wants....and then go on to high gain. Magnificent little amps, iOne of the best Fender designs of all time, imho. It certainly is one of the most versatile.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.