Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Favorite Tremolo Pedal and Why

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Pictures, sound clips and videos welcome and encouraged!

2. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2012
    Texas
    For me.... Strymon Flint.
    (And you get a great reverb thrown in as a bonus).

It does the typical square wave trem (blackface), plus a nice Vibroverb type trem, AND that cool Magnatone tremolo/vibrato mix.

John Owen and Jakeboy like this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    VFE Old School. Does the Fender bias tremolo better than anything else that I have ever tried ... except the real thing anyway.

richiek65 likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Just when I was starting to think I don't need a Flint

6. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Voodoo Labs Tremolo (4 knob). The slope control gives me a wide variety of different tremolo flavors, and the volume control helps defeat the volume loss

pedro58 and red57strat like this.

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    South Florida
    EHX Pulsar...good sounding and relatively cheap...

gee. and Tele-beeb like this.

8. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Meister

Joyo.
    Sounds good.
    It's cheap.

I do lust after some of the more 'professional ' level pedals like the Flint and Latitude, but don't use trem enough (yet) to justify the investment.

BlueCollarBoy likes this.

9. joeybyron

joeybyron TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2016
    South Carolina
    I just got a BYOC tremolo, I like it bc the lights pulses at the speed of the trem. And it has a nice level knob. Got off of GC used site. Sounds great to me.

10. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

May 13, 2017
    Huntington Beach via Reno

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Mr. Black Deluxe Plus... great tremolo plus a sweet spring reverb sound. 2nd runner up...Black Cat Mini Trem.

PigBoy and Obsessed like this.

12. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 11, 2013
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Catalinbread Valcoder

It has a bubbling, breathing quality to it, especially at low depth and speed settings, that you won’t get with something more clinical like a TR-2 (and there is nothing wrong with clinical - the TR-2 does _exactly_ what it is designed to do). It’s almost like mild waves of trem, rising and falling in intensity, or maybe a slight asymmetry to the waveform - you feel it almost more than you hear it (although you can hear it for sure if you let a chord or note decay). Plus you get a bit of Valco style grit and grease with the input knob.

My other trem on the pedal board is a Catalinbread Antichthon, but I don’t know if you would consider a fuzz that dies/ducks out to a tremolo that is rate controlled via the volume knob on your guitar as a classic trem :) But it sure is fun, and I think Link Wray would have loved that pedal - it does a mean Rumble cover, and the trem is super responsive to picking intensity and your volume knob.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 11:01 PM

13. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    IL
    I've never found a need for anything other than a TR-2, or tremolo in any multieffects box.

Some tremolos now have boosts built into them (CAST Pulse Drive, Supro Tremolo), but that bugs me because I like my dirts and tremolo in diferent spaces on the board. Same with the Mad Professor pedals with dirt + delay or reverb in one pedal. Just doesn't fit well for me.

tlimbert65 likes this.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    +1 On the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus. Fantastic Trem and I would have stopped there if I had not found the VFE Old School first. The D+ is too good to pass up though, so I have it on my grab' n go jammin' board. Excellent spring reverb that makes this pedal an unusual winner with two great effects.

Color? Naw, I won't go there.;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.

15. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    United States
    Boss TR-2 w/ Analogman mods. That's second only to the Bias Tremolo on my Blackface Deluxe Reverb.

Obsessed likes this.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I have a schemo for an actual tube-powered trem pedal that uses bias-wiggle, such as on the Vibroluxe. I still need to build it, but there's a couple other projects in front of it at the moment.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have never heard a tremolo pedal half as nice as the one on my BF vibro-champ clone. I'm getting the Keeley Mod workstation which has two trems I am curious to try though. Trem is my #1 mod for sure.

18. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    Of those I've played strymon flint by a country mile

Amazing

El Tele Lobo likes this.

19. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    None, I don't like trem. Why would you want to lose control of your amplitude. Might as well put a monkey on a volume pedal.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    You don't lose control, you make changes to it

Now there's an idea! That, and hamsters on a wheel driving a rotating speaker...I forsee a whole line of animal effects...:)

Tommy Biggs, AAT65 and El Tele Lobo like this.

21. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I have a ModTone Harmonic Tremor that I'm really pleased with thus far.
    It's not expensive and lets you control the wave re triangle vs square.

I'm not spending Strymon type money on a Tremolo.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.