Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Tele Pickups for Country?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by CyrusF, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Before you go swapping pickups, try some steel barrel saddles. That may be all you need.

El Tele Lobo and Shango66 like this.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Also, a compressor helps with that "country sound"

Depending of course what period of country music you are looking to sound like.

Gary

3. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    I installed a set of Lindy Fralin broadcaster pickups in my tele, and they work well.

4. danpan

danpan Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    South Dakota
    I concur!! I love mine! The CS '51 Nocasters are good too. Consider a 4-way switch as well....very versatile!!

BlueCajun and brobar like this.

5. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Exactly... I installed a 4-way switch when I installed those pups! That 4th position adds quite a bit of artistic versatility. I use it more often than I thought I would.

danpan likes this.

6. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Meister

May 24, 2011
    UK- Midlands
    +1 for the Twang King in the neck

7. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

8. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

Feb 20, 2006
    Springfield/Mt.Vernon, MO
    This for the bridge..... Like the Twang King in the neck.

jwp2 likes this.

9. terrybellcountr

terrybellcountr Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2009
    Sweden
    This plus a lot of practice.

10. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Also, you can drop the pickups with regard to their position to the strings to lower their output and you have a weaker singnal but a cleaner sound.

Teles the defined country sound soooooooooo I don't think you can go wrong with almost any pu

I saw, recently, a band at an outdoor picnic town square type of thing

The guitarist in the band had an Affinity Tele that looked stock. I asked the guy and he said the guitar was stock and he'd got it for $ 100 to do "country stuff on"

And you know what, it sounded great, very twangy and country like. Now it could be argued that the tone is in the figures of the player OR it could'a been the Tele.

Gary

11. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Fender AVRI '62s I think are hard to beat for what you're talking about, and not expensive. They have that quintessential Tele country sound, imo.

I have the bridge pickup and it's very good at what it does (altho now I'm hankering for something more broadcastery.)

CyrusF likes this.

12. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

Although I was at the Albert Lee concert Saturday and he got extraordinary sound out of a Music Man Albert Lee signature guitar.

13. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Another vote for Cavailiers. I love my Nashville Lion/Lion King set.

brobar likes this.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    by the way, consider the guitar and its components before you decide

I have a bright tele: hard pine, steel saddles, maple neck -- I wanted to replace its ceramic magnet bridge pickup to alnico -- the guitar is for 50s honky tonk -- so I was thinking about Rob's "Bakersfield"

but he recommended a Fat Lion

15. dharleyfan

dharleyfan Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    Muncie Indiana
    I have a trio of Joe Barden pickups in my G&L ASAT Classic S, I think they are the most versatile pick ups that you can buy. They are actually Humbucking, but really Nail the single coil sound with a better mid range, and without that shrill ear bleeding top end. I play mostly Southern Rock and Blues now, and the pick ups absolutely kill in those genres as well. I get asked all the time what pick ups I'm using because I can Twang or peel paint, with the same guitar and the same pick ups.

16. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Cavalier! Been messing around with various Tele Pups. So far the Cavlier's are tops!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    This is it right here. Country guitar sounds grew up around the guitars in use at the time , so any vintage wind puts you in the ballpark. Those Fender pickups are all excellent. I like the Av52s, nocasters are a little fatter.

18. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Not sure its the pickup. I think you can use any guitar for country.... but for the look ....

19. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Especially if you use a bender and want a classic pedal steel sound... good compression + bridge pickup + good feel will get you there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.