Favorite song you grew up on?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Lord_Ingipz, May 15, 2019.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was around 1980 that I was 10 and I loved the country songs like: pickin up strangers by Johnny Lee and 7 year Ache by Rosanne Cash

2. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I never considered Seven Year Ache to be country but then I like the Freebird, Lynard Skynard, station on Sirius. I have always liked Country Rock.

What came to mind under this topic was the song Brandy. But, what introduced me to non pop rock was Alice’s Restaurant. The music that fits this category is Marshall Tucker’s Can’t You See, the Doors’ LA Woman and too many others to list.

3. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

My Mom liked the Everly Bros., so I heard these songs a lot. And who didn't watch Ozzie and Harriet?, also Roy Orbison's, Oh Pretty Woman was a favorite.

4. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Ride Captain Ride by Blues Image.

Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

North to Alaska - Johnny Horton
    El Paso - Marty Robbins
    Hello Mary Lou - Ricky Nelson

But the first song that really got me was "When You Leave, Don't Slam the Door" by Tex Ritter

Then my brother (or was it me?) sat on the 78 I didn't hear it again for 60 years. Thank you YouTube!

Ivorytooth likes this.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

a dime would have gotten you one song, a quarter three!

joealso likes this.
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Brandy! I loved that song. I recall that and Riders on the Storm playing while on a family vacation to the OBX and we had to vacate to VA Beach/Norfolk because of a hurricane. I remember how cool that was.

8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That sounds about right. Judging from your location in "NoVa", you might have even passed that Pizza Hut on Rt 123 in Vienna.

9. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Glad to see everyone joining on this. Findings songs I've never heard. That route 66 slideshow was pretty nice.

10. Ebling

Ebling TDPRI Member

I am a Gen-Xer, but when I hear those old 50s singles from Little Richard it almost brings tears to my eyes. Brilliant stuff.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

{Please watch this movie if you have not). KEYWORD:Marisa Hartigay.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  13. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Same here. Grew up mid 90's in Chicago so have fond memories of the past. We're old souls.

14. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Will watch! Music is great to transcend through any age. Truly connects us to a more intimate and human level.

15. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

This is a bit of a guilty pleasure. The accordian parts are part of the ranchero/paisa culture in Mexico. The tight plaid shirts. Weird jeans, extremely pointed shoes and stetsons. Love me some Buck which was introduced in CCR's "Looking out the backdoor".

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

Iwill be 58 next month and my folks listened to classical (mom was a piano player) and stuff like Kingston Trio and Johnny Cash. (late 50's early 60's college kid hipster music. I was a victim of late 60's and early 70's AM radio (WFUN in Miami) then shut off from the evil rock because I attended a little Christian school for two years for 6th and 7th grade. (Record smashing parties and such. Never really bought into that, but it limited what I heard.) I heard the Beatles from the TV cartoon and such before this, I would say that the first real rock song that go my attention on AM may have been Lola by the Kinks. Had no idea what it was about back then, but it was good. When I got to the nasty little public junior high school in Connecticut in 8th grade, the first few records that I got turned onto were the Beatles blue and red compilation records and Fragile by Yes. I told my parents that I wanted a stereo and some records and my mom bought me C, SNY Deja Vu and Elton John Honky Chateau among others, then the first couple of Bad Company records because the hottest girl in the neighborhood was a fan. LOL.

17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Four guys from Liverpool :)

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.