Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite rockers that didn't become the star you expected them to become...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rjtwangs, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    You basically described my entire record collection. If I have to pick one (and someone already mentioned The Replacements), make it The Long Ryders...

mngsp and Johnson johnson like this.

2. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis

House of Large Sizes.
    The floor of Gabe's Oasis in I.C. IA would bounce up and down, freaked me out and was Awesome!

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yep. Audley is about as down to earth and nice as anyone you’d ever want to meet. Just a super nice guy.

There was a time after I learned that he had moved here to Nashville that I tried to find contact information and maybe take a lesson or two from him. I did that with Jack Pearson... a single 30 min lesson. Very cool.

But I was never able to find any contact info on Audley, and in the mean time, I watched enough videos of him on YouTube to figure him out. That’s not to say that I can play all his stuff by any means... but he really discusses his style and licks very in-depth on several videos.

4. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss TDPRI Member

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    I'm seeing a lot of really successful folks mentioned here.

I couldn't imagine having a few hundred stadium shows under my belt and seeing people wondering why I never made it big.

CFFF, nojazzhere and warrent like this.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I'd forgotten about that!

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I met him at a local Chic-Fil-A just a couple of months ago.

True story. We talked football and guitars. Super guy.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

7. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    This may be super obvious to some, but for those mentioning Chris Whitley, DEFINITELY check out the Black Dub album from a few years back with Chris’ daughter Dixie on lead vocals, Brian Blade (amazing jazz drummer) and Daniel Lanois on super cool Les Paul w/ Bigsby.

tbb007 likes this.

8. Teisco San

Teisco San TDPRI Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Bay Area
    Life happens. Soooo much talent. In my next incarnation I will make a point of hooking up with a bass playing female who pogos all over the stage. I am not worthy.

9. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne

10. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Tommy Bolin
    Death & drugs saw to that...easily one of unsung, should-have-beens & such a monsterous talent!

mngsp and 6stringcowboy like this.

11. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    Didn't he have a song about Tiger Woods?

12. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

A guy named Steve Blaze

Founder and Guitarist for a band called Lillian Axe.

Great guy, still talk to him every now and then.

Coincidentally his brother, who was a kid at the time, ended up being a little more well known than Steve.

His name is Craig Nunenmacher and he was the Drummer for Zakk Wylde's BLS.

13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Kim Simmonds from Savoy Brown. He should be ranked right up there with Clapton, Beck, Page, Johnny Winter, Peter Green, Duane Allman, and the rest of the legends. Rusty Young and Paul Cotton of Poco, the country rock band that the Eagles could only dream of being. The Radiators from New Orleans, a true American Treasure. There are so many others, but this is a few I think deserved more recognition than they received.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017 at 12:58 AM
    Bruxist and JJAdams1956 like this.

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    The other band that was big in Baltimore and "going places" was Face Dancer. The polar opposite of CTS, they were much more of a pop band but not without wit.. I mean who puts "modulation " in the lyrics and then modulates? First record had a strong single and a couple of other good tunes, & then nowheresvile the second record tanked (I believe there were distribution problems) and they faded rapidly. I saw them at UMd right after the second record. They were stuffed in a small room in a dining hall, maybe a dozen people there...

16. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I’m with you regarding the Poco boys & the Radiators, but that first one’s quite a stretch!

17. mngsp

mngsp Tele-Meister

Jul 30, 2009
    Mandan, ND
    Two bands that come to mind for me were both victims of the backlash to 80's glam scene. They came along in the late 80's/early 90's and even though they are just great R&R bands they just couldn't get any traction due to the rise of grunge and the resulting backlash against anything considered remotely 80's music.

I never tire of listening to these bands

Australian band Kings of the Sun

Seattle band War Babies led by Brad Sinsel

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

18. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2008
    New Jersey U.S.A.
    These guys. Really liked the album but they never went big as I thought they would.

[​IMG]

rave, IsleFan, Just-Jim and 1 other person like this.

19. fenderese

fenderese TDPRI Member

Two ladies on my list, Carolyn Wonderland and Mary Cutrufello.

4 Cat Slim likes this.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Dave Edmunds- thought he'd go further than "I hear You Knockin' " and ' Girl's Talk". The guy can play!

rjtwangs, Jim W and brookdalebill like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.