Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite rockers that didn't become the star you expected them to become...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rjtwangs, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    nils.jpg

I really thought Nils would be a huge star, BUT......

RJ

tbb007, Chicago Matt, Jim W and 8 others like this.

2. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Wow, the first band I thought of when I read the title of the post was Grin, Nils Lofgren's band before he went solo. And that was before I even saw your post! Grin was a big fave of mine back in the early 70s.
    Huh, you must also be a genius...:D

3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Les Dudek. Did some cuts with the ABB. Released a couple of solo albums, awesome genre bending guitarist. Check him out. 'Nuff sed.

Dennyf, brookdalebill, Slim and 3 others like this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Ian Moore.....when he was becoming known here in Texas, sometime in nineties, he was touted as the "new" SRV.....he was a MONSTER on guitar, great singer, exciting showman, and wrote great songs. Somehow or another, he rejected the "star" label, moved to Seattle or someplace up there, and played only acoustic. Just took a HUGE left turn away from his fans, and even when he now tries to return to his roots, it's just not the same. Check out his "Live at Steamboat".....awesome band and awesome performances.
    ....by the way, Nils is really good with Springsteen....not a bad gig.....

GearHund, emptycup and abrianb like this.

5. Besquire

Besquire TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    DE
    Dan Baird!!!!! So many great Songs.......

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

7. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    Kenny Shields (witness inc , witness , street heart)

Colin James

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    kkphoto likes this.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    He's still here.
    School teacher.
    Still incredible.
    So many more...
    Vernon Reid
    Alex Chilton
    I even heard a bunch of seasoned musicians trying to figure out who Harry Nilsson was...one described him as some guy who had a couple minor hits back in the 70s.
    This may qualify him for the list, but he's a giant to me.

Bruxist and Johnson johnson like this.

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Domenic Troiano. He contributed to the works of so many other artists at the expense of his own success.

10. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Nils and Les, yep exactly.
    Holly Beth Vincent too.

11. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Nils is an odd case though, I did think Grin would be bigger than they were, but ending up in one of the biggest and most famous bands in the world as well as being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is still a worthy end.

There are a lot of good musicians I have enjoyed over the years that I wish were more popular
    a short list: John Cale, Richard Thompson, Linda Thompson, The Walkabouts, Elliot Murphy, living color

12. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Patrick Sweany (not as big as he deserves YET)

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I met him in the Sarasota studios back in the early 80s. Nice guy, funny, really great guitar player.

I read your post too fast and thought you said "awesome gender bending guitarist" and I thought, what? maybe with all that long black hair back then, he was a lady with a moustache? Who knew?

brookdalebill likes this.

15. cwinn

cwinn TDPRI Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Nashville

Yes, yes, yes. My all time favorite - the fact that still no one knows his work is tragic.

BTW, if you're on Facebook, join the All Things Chris Whitley group. Tons of rare & unreleased audio, including the original mix for "Din of Ecstasy". It's a completely different recording.....

Johnson johnson likes this.

16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    Peter Mayer.

Jimmy Buffet's guitarist for the last 29 year's.

(BTW, when not touring with Jimmy, Peter still performs and tours with his own band, under his own name: The Peter Mayer Group)

He is a superb original fingerstlyist (think Windam Hill) on acoustic guitar, and can easily cover any style on electric guitar. He has an incredible voice (think Sting, McCartney, Paul Simon), writes beautiful, thoughtful and inspiring song's and is always on the move, discovering and exposing new and wonderfully talented musician's to his fan's... many who have become his friend's. (He's a very down to earth and personable guy.)

He put his own career on the back-burner back around '88, to get the Buffett gig. It paid the bill's and more, but it definately, imo, cost him.

He could have, and should have been a household name.

Listen to his "Romeo's Garage" and "Musicbox" album's for a good sample of his genius!!

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    Yikes!

Lead guitar in the E Street Band is NOT success, recording/playing with Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young is NOT success ?

What does he have to do, cure cancer ?

18. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ...playing in traffic
    Out of the chute, 7 solo albums, 1st 4 on CBS records, with Toto as his backup band on the first one. Played/recorded with the Allmans with the harmony guitar part on 'Ramblin' Man to Dickey Betts' melody lead.

Les Dudek is an American guitarist, singer and songwriter. In addition to his solo material, Dudek has played guitar with Steppenwolf, Steve Miller Band, The Dudek-Finnigan-Krueger Band, Stevie Nicks, Cher, Boz Scaggs, The Allman Brothers Band, as well as Maria Muldaur, Bobby Whitlock, Mike Finnigan and Dave Mason.

Guys, please really ?

Just because it happened in the 70s doesn't mean it wasn't huge.

Christopher Becker Whitley was an American blues/rock singer-songwriter and guitarist. During his 25-year career he released more than a dozen albums, had two songs in the top 50 of the Billboard mainstream rock charts and received two Independent Music Awards. Whitley's sound was drawn from the traditions of blues, jazz and rock and he recorded songs by artists from many genres. He died in 2005 of lung cancer at the age of 45.

How much success do they have to have ?

Chris Whitley left us Trixie, his daughter, who is an amazing player/singer. That's success.

I am guessing y'all are thinking big as the Beatles/Chicago/Steely Dan/Elton/Madonna/Billy Joel/Michael Jackson ?

nojazzhere likes this.

19. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    Chris Corner?
    Jon Crosby?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.