Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite never-discussed guitarist?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by gpasq, Feb 23, 2012.

1. 8cpk

8cpk Tele-Meister

Jul 4, 2013
    Rightdowntheblock
    Two of my favorites ever!

2. paul74

paul74 Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2012
    Chesterfield, UK

3. Dunzie

Dunzie Tele-Holic

Canadian blues-Rock guitarist Colin James has long been a favorite of mine...

4. RCC Passderkins

RCC Passderkins Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2012
    The Old Dominion
    Hayden Nicholas from Clint Black's band. I got his first record for my 7th birthday so those were the first guitar parts I remember hearing.

Rick McRae from George Strait's band.

John Sykes from Blue Murder and Whitesnake. He has a killer vibrato.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Good question. I'd hazard a guess that guitar players like other guitar players who improvise. Page seems to work out his solos ahead of time. He also will comp a solo together after several improvised takes. This is very much my own personal take on things, so maybe most people don't feel the same way that I do about improvising. There are other majorly good guitarists who don't improvise much, as far as I have heard. Chet Atkins being the best of this type.

Back to Page. His solos on record are really, really good. They contribute to a song in much the same way that Harrison's solos do.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Ditto. My band plays Hoochie Coo Chickie, which is a blast.

7. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    I'm not sure that's the reason (if indeed, Page doesn't get discussed much at all). David Gilmour is well-known for doing both these things too, but he is frequently talked about by guitarists (rightly!).

Bit of a paradox, Jimmy Page - it is often said that his playing is "sloppy", yet, as a former in-demand session guitarist with all the musical discipline that role demands, you would think his playing would be absolutely textbook.

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I'm thinking the "sloppiness" comes from certain substances though.

But Page is certainly discussed on a weekly basis around here ... ? At least his "Dragon" Tele ...

9. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Yes, I'm sure all that excess will have taken its toll!

Also, I agree, I don't think I've noticed a lack of discussion about Page anywhere.

10. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Jamie West-Oram of The Fixx.

11. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Jake E Lee. The guitar work on the Badlands albums is great. I love his twist on Fogerty's Green River in this song. The slide solo at the end of Whiskey Dust is one of my favorites. :cool:

12. smallstoner

smallstoner Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2011
    buffalo, ny
    Pretty sure the original "no one talks about Jimmy Page" comment was a joke (rather obviously).

13. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2012
    Alberta

14. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

havejust been watching some Linda Ronstadt videos, and I came up with one-[ Waddy Wachtel

15. BourbonSamurai

BourbonSamurai Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2013
    New Orleans,LA
    This! Badlands was a really nice record.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.