Favorite neck specs

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Jun 16, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

So I've been playing a baseball bat U-shape neck (TRO-FAT) on one of my jazz teles for a year or two and up and decided it's too big for me the other night. Too fat and frets too big (though I can deal with the latter). I much prefer the TRO-V on my home built Jazzbo Hepcaster tele. Still 1", but V-shape and with vintage frets and a 7.25" radius (not that I mind 9.25" or even 10"...I've had both). But at least for jazz, I like this better. I've also been playing 12s on that guitar and they just seem a little much. I think my jazzbo got mistakenly set up with 11s when they cut the nut (only just realized that too) and I find them much more comfortable to play. I can play the 12s but have to tune down a whole step for them to be comfortable. I can use pedals to thicken the tone if necessary so not a dealbreaker.

I also have a tele with a 1" C shape I like and another with a 50s Baja (V-shape) I like pretty well.

If I were having one custom built by, say, Musikraft, I would probably do
    • Soft V or chunky C (maybe .85" - .9" at first fret)
    • 1-11/16" nut
    • 9.25" radius (unless for jazz, then 7.25")
    • Vintage frets (6230...and probably stainless)
    • Heel-adjust truss rod (prefer these universally...I find they are easier to adjust...less likely to strip out than an Allen nut...and have a better weight distribution than headstock-heavy ones with the adjustment at the headstock)

What about you guys? What are your favorite neck specs for your ideal neck?

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

For me, it's :

- modern C profile.
    - 9.5 to 12 radius, I mean not less than 9.5".
    - jumbo frets at 1.20mm height.
    - tuners aligned as best as possible with the sring path to avoid binding.
    - TUSQ XL nut.
    - 43mm nut width.
    - rosewood fretboard.
    - 16 or 18:1 tuners

Like a today's Gretsch, Epiphone, etc... Neck, for example.

Finally, rather standard necks ! ;)

-tbln

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Just about anything with a 7.25” radius suits me fine. I can play others, but that just feels like home. The back profile doesn’t seem to matter much, but preferably not a a baseball bat!

T Prior likes this.
  4. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

My preference goes to a Rosewood board on a V (not too soft ;)) shaped neck.

5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

The AV 52 necks are almost perfect for me.

hdvades likes this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

and whatever spec that is mentioned above, I second it ! :)

I recently acquired a 2008 USA Tele which is spec'd at 9.5 but I swear the shape, frets , thickness - "NON BASEBALL BAT profile" feels just like my 7.25 guitars. So I bought it !

Specs are one thing, hands and feel are quite another .

lineboat likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

9.5, 10 or 12" radius, jumbo or super jumbo frets.
    I'm flexible with frets as long as they are larger than vintage but I prefer jumbos.

85-87 to 95-97 c is good. truss rod adjustment at the heel and period correct looking with a proper headstock shape.

Luckily Allparts has these specs covered in unfinished necks.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Modern C as sold by Mighty Mite ( from Stewmac ). C shape, 9.5 " radius. .860" @ first fret and 0.890" @ 12th. 19 Frets.
    Perfect for me, some like them thicker, I find a light satin spray and I'm ready to put it in the slot.

9. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

My new Musikraft neck is a medium C, 0.83 - 0.92. It‘s nice, but anything below would be too slim for my hands:

5B99F644-85A8-4754-9A08-43D658BFF70C.jpeg

On my Thinline I‘ve got a fat U, 1“ all the way- great! It‘s not only the playability that matters. I believe the „theory“ that a thicker neck generates bigger tone.

Rule of thumb:
    Fat neck + lightweight body = vintage tone.

My favorite neckradius is 9.5“ (the 10-16“ compound radius from Warmoth is also superb to play), oiled/raw or satin nitro.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Not a fan of super chunky necks. I prefer the maple neck on my 2019 road worn tele, which I believe is a "C" shape. Also a soft "V" is nice too. I'm very picky when it comes to neck feel so I say go with what really works for you.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

For me, it's as much as what I don't like as what I do like. I can deal with a lot of different kinds of necks, I think, as long as they're on the chunky side. Everything here is with respect to Teles:

What I don't like:
    • modern "C" shape. I think this is best described as a shallow C. It feels like half an oval in my hands.
    • regular "C," like a .86-.91" or something. This shape is fine, and I'm sure I could get used to it, but it doesn't feel like enough in my hands. I did play a Road Worn recently, though, and I liked the neck just fine.
    • generally, the flatter the radius, the less I like it. Though my Epi Les Paul has a 12" radius, and that's fine.
    What I do like:
    • vintage soft-V, like a 52 reissue or a TRO/TMO-V. These are referred to as chunky, but because of the lack of shoulders, they don't feel big to me at all.
    • Warmoth boatneck. It is essentially the same type as the TMO-V from Allparts or the Fender Japan soft V necks.
    • Warmoth Fatback. I really like this neck. I like it better than the Allparts TMO-FAT. There's something about the Allparts one that feels fatter than the Fatback to me.
    • My Epiphone '56 Les Paul Pro has a huge neck on it, and I like that, too.
    • I've played the Baja 50's Tele and its neck, and I like that shape a lot. Just not the gloss poly.
    • The U-shape of the James Burton neck is nice, too.
    • I really like 7.25" radius. I play a lot of barre chords, and it's just easier. I'm not much of a soloist, and I don't do crazy bends.
    Fret wire:
    I have guitars with 6230 vintage small, 6105 narrow and tall, and 6130-ish medium jumbo. They're all fine, but I prefer less fret rather than more. By the way, Warmoth's 6105 doesn't feel at all the same as the Allparts "narrow and tall" frets to me. The Warmoths feel more like medium-jumbo, and I like them better. The Allparts feel narrower and they make more of a "wall" or "ledge" when you're trying to slide up the neck. I have always used regular nickel-silver frets on my necks, but I just got a neck with stainless steel. More to come on that, as I know more.

Fingerboard:
    I like both maple and rosewood. The difference for me is largely aesthetic, though rosewood does feel "right" under the fingers, as I was an acoustic player first. On my 'lectrics, I have one regular maple board, one rosewood board, and one roasted maple neck. The roasted maple does feel different, though, in a good way. I'm going to leave it as natural-feeling as possible.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    stefanhotrod and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Warmoth boatneck with 6150 frets is my absolute favourite.
    I don't care about radius since the differences between them are insignificant to me.

13. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

C, 9.5 vintage frets.

14. TLR_

TLR_ TDPRI Member

I'll say the Highway One necks I'm using now. They both measure about .84 at the first fret, although even allowing for the big frets they don't feel exactly like the modern C shape necks I'm familiar with. A friend always swears that he can almost detect a D shape in them, but I don't.
    Anyway, 9.5" radius is a preference while rosewood or maple are both cool.

15. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Vintage telecaster radius. D or U shaped necks, fret wire doesn't matter to me.

16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I like a soft V a lot. I have settled on a modern C though and like it. Not the Warmoth though, too thin. For some reason the Fender MIM C I like a lot and the American C just isn't as comfy for me. Warmoth 6150 frets are nice, pretty much vintage height but a little wider. Stew Mac has similar frets. Fine with 6105 also though. I can't do tall frets though.

17. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 TDPRI Member

I like the "Modern C" but not the Deep Modern C. The Jumbo Frets? jury is till out.

18. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I really don't care for skinny necks or the in vogue too phat necks that never left
    Fullerton & yet somehow, came to be classified as " vintage ". I recently bought
    a neck from a '50's Baja & enjoy it's specs immensely. :cool:

Owenmoney likes this.
  19. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

(50s) Baja, TMO-Fat, TMO-V, Gibson 50s C. I like the fattest frets I can get- the tall ones on the TMO-Fat are a bit much. I can handle the different radii.....but a 9.5 is preferred.

The Baja is a great, middle-of-the-road, chunky modern neck, for folks who find skinny necks cramp them up. It's not outrageously big and plays easy.

20. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I like big fat baseball bat necks. But those are my hands and my style of playing. A friend also with big hands like me likes thin necks. Go figure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.