Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Favorite Modeling Amp?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Moustache_Bash, Sep 4, 2013.

1. yourhero

yourhero TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Kansas City
    for now I'm learning on my own, YouTube is helping out a lot. I have yet to try standard tuning as open g has me smiling ear to ear:D

2. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    I have a Pocket Pod, Guitar Port and a Roland Cube 20X. The Pod is great for hotel rooms (I travel for work). But when I get home the Cube gets a workout. Not so much the GP because it requires a computer. I like them all but still thinking about tubes... Super Champ may be in my future.

3. Vindibona

Vindibona TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    Sorry to be late to the party...
    The Roland Cube is a great little design. Simple and easy to use. Great clean sound. A little colder than a tube amp but it has that "something" in the cleans.

Line 6 is very flexible but there is a steeper learning curve but most have 4 programmable channels and the FBV Express is inexpensive and provides a professional feel.

Fender Mustangs? I know some guys love them but they leave me cold. I've played them all and even took some lessons plugged into one. Compared to other modeling amps I found the Mustangs clumsy and I felt the sound more "processed" than the other above brands. Just my opinion.

4. Vindibona

Vindibona TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    update

Just an update to my previous reply...

I just received a Fender Super Champ XD to add to my collection. I did a quick side by side comparison with my Cube 40XL and Line 6. It has been interesting. But here is a preliminary report:

I only played one guitar for this comparison, a LP with Porter Smooth/Classic pickups. I was not able to push the volume as it was evening in a small apartment.

The clean channel on the Fender was very clear and, of course, Fender like. Side by side with the Roland it was definitely warmer. The differences were very subtle as these amps are about the same size.

NOW.. The Line 6 Spider II 75w/12... Surprised me in the cleans. I was expecting the Fender to be much warmer and more "tubular" but the Line 6 was really pretty good. But the 12" speaker on the Line 6 created a large sound that got my attention.

The dirty amp models were quite different between all the amps. At first blush I liked the Fender distorted models. They were very clean and different. I *think* I like these a bit better than the Roland, but will have to do some more testing. But that Line 6... A much steeper learning curve but it just has something. Again, maybe it's that 12" speaker. The thing with the Line 6 is that you can buy a FBV Express foot pedal for $100 that not only allows 4 channel switching, but has a tuning display AND a volume pedal that switches into a wah-wah.

I'm fortunate that I can have all three and if I had to choose only one I would have a difficult time making a decision. But again, where I had referenced the Mustang amps in the previous reply, I still maintain that they Mustangs would not be a consideration for me. YMMV

5. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I just picked up a line 6 vetta 2 head it's my first modeller so I guess it's my favourite :) I picked it up with the short board for £300 a fraction of the new price a few years ago I was shocked to find it used a CMOS battery to hold presets in this day and age!!!!!! so I had a new one fitted under warranty after it froze on me.

So far since it's come back it's been great I'm really pleased with the quality of the sounds I play in a covers band so all the tones available are very useful and the shortboard functions/layout is very clever. Also I find I quite enjoy tweaking it.

6. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2012
    Tidewater Virginia
    I second that! Great amp, great company. And I use their GT-2 for quick DI's.

I hear the Trademark 30 is also great. They also have what they call the engine which is straight power amp which you plug your train into.

7. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Jan 14, 2011
    Medina, Ohio
    "Again, maybe it's that 12" speaker"..................Bingo! No matter what the brand, bigger is better!

8. JohnnyLarge

JohnnyLarge TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Chesterfield, UK
    I have very little space available so I just bought a Vox Mini 5 Rhythm. I love the Boutique Clean with a spot of spring reverb. It's also got a 0.1w, 1.5w and 5w setting so I can keep the level down.

9. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2003
    Groover's Paradise
    I third that! Love the Trademark 60.

10. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2014
    michigan
    +several above on Roland

I prefer(by a wide margin) the JC clean sound to a typical Fender silverface - so much more "open" and less "nasal" sounding

peace

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.